CLickers or no Clickers

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Asartin, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Just wondering what everyones preference was on fishing while you are anchored up. Do you like to use a reel with a clicker? If you do use clickers do you put your reels in free spool or do you use a light drag with the clicker? Or do you like no clicker at all?

Any thoughts would be appriciated....

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I prefer no clicker at all. I use braided line and I think they sometimes feel the vibration and drop the bait.

3. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    That's a nice catfish in your avatar!:big_smile:

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    if your useing a circle hook for sure dont use clicker, I had about a 25% catch rate when I tried it on a couple slow nights.

5. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    Jerry, when your not using the clicker with circle hooks how is your drag adjusted? Do you have it set light or do you have it set to bring the fish in with no more drag adjustment? Thanks

6. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Clicker with a light drag for me when using it.

7. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I fish mostly Abu 6500s. if I tightn drag up all the way a 40 lb fish can pull drag out, so thats where most are. I lossen them sometimes but thats sorta my scale when I catch one. if it can pull the drag its a goodin.
    abu 6500s spooled with 20 lb test has worked great for me on blues. I dont think they can break me off by pulling.

8. catman_mark

catman_mark New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i love using my bait clickers.I dont use circle hooks very often and most of the time im crappie fishing and throwing the cat poles to the other side.I leave my drag set the same and let the reel free spool. I also love the bait alarm for those slow nights when im notting off a bait alarm can wake me up faster then a fog horn.lol

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use the " line out alarm "aka "clicker" more at night, but on the boats if we run 10 or so rods I will use it because its easier to locate what rod is being slammed.

I too use Abu 6500's and my drags are set at 3# to 4#. Don't sound like much does it ?......but if ya put scales on it you'll see its stout enough. I run circle hooks for all cats and IMO all you need is enough pressure to sink the hook in. I've also never lost or scared fish due to using clickers ; )

I wouldn't use the reels in free spool with circles because you might not be sinking the hook set in all the way until the reel is engaged.

Even a locked down Abu drag will slip before it hits 15#.

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    :sad2: wish I had a boat to give you some better advice:embarassed:

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You don't use a clicker with circle hooks.

12. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Boat or bank, I use my clickers and I use circle hooks. If I don't use the clickers onm the Abu 6600 series, then Im using the baitrunner on my Salt Strikers. Works well for me, and I would have to say I have a >90% hookup rate.

13. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Thanks for all the good info. :big_smile:

Circle hooks are definately the way to go just for the fact that they usually don't hook the fish down deep. We've been chasing the BIG red drum at the NC outer banks for about the last 10 years. The name of the game out there is catch fish and release it as fast as possible. Most of the fish we don't even take out of the water, unless its someone who hasn't caught one of these monsters yet and wants a pic.

Sounds like alot of the practices with the big reds are trying to be implemented into catfishing. I definately want to learn as much as possible to increase the chances of the fish I catch being able to be released in good condition.

14. Asartin

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin

HA HA!!! Yeah thats what I call a big BLUE

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I only use clickers when I fish the lake. I would use them in the river but the current is too strong in most places. I agree with the statement to never, ever, ever use clickers and circle hooks. It's just not humanly possible to let the hook do what it's supposed to do. If I'm using clickers I'm using kahles or J-hooks. I really don't like circle hooks anyway but I use them in the river from time to time.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hm,,,I see a few folks saying to not use the clickers and circle hooks. Do you mean while the reel is in free-spool, or with the reel engaged ?

17. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I use clickers on my 6600s in freespool and I use circle hooks. When a fish takes a run, I remove the rod from the holder and engage the reel. I let the fish hook itself...no need to set the hook with circle hooks. I've never gut hooked one with the circles and my hook-up rate is well over 90%. My drags are pre-set with a scale before each trip...20% of my leader breaking strength. It works for me.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  18. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    if it works 90% keep it up.
    I have turned them on and lost fish after fish on circles. I'm done with clickers for circles.

19. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I like to hear the clickers whenthe fish goes running with it but i hate it when the pull line and you go runnuing for the reel and it stops right when you get there for it.If they do that more then twice i will take the clicker off that way if they hit it again they will load the rod and set the hook their self.