clickers making catfish spit bait out

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by upncomincatfishking, Jan 30, 2009.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    I was wondering can cats feel the vibrations of a clicker thru your line? And if so do you think they can cause bigger cats to drop your bait? cause I heard that a catfishs head is covered with sensory organs I guess you'd call em. so is there anyway a clicker any of you think could hurt more than help?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've wondered the same thing, and my inclination is a qualified "Yes"...some fish, some of the time.

I don't know how to answer the question for sure, though. It would be nearly impossible to set up anything in the way of an experiment that would be conclusive.

And then there's this: when a fish drops the bait, was it the clicker, the line brushing it's body, the line catching on structure, the sinker dragging on bottom, or something we have yet to define that makes caution overrule hunger?

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think there was too much other stuff going on for the sensory organs in the head to feel a clicker. The drag of the water on the line, the drag of the sinker. AND there is always the off chance there was some foreign taste on the bait which causes them to spit it out. Some, are like people, I'd imagine, and want that extra piece of pie or cake, and then don't want it after we get it. It is just a part of fishing and when you love the sport, we accept the drawbacks.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Don't start laughin and throwing rotten eggs at me yet.:embarassed: I've bass fished for years and have been using a product known as smelly jelly for years. Smells like anise or crawfish(awful smellin stuff). it's used on soft plastics and jigs. Without it, you see alot of spit out bait. With it, you'll usually get a hook set. I caught a 20# flathead on grand lake bass fishing a jig. Missed the fish the first bite, threw back in there again and caught it. I seriously doubt i would have got the second chance without the jelly. Did he smell it or taste it, i dunno. I'm not sure if a catfish can hear or not. I'm a firm believer that a rattle in a bass bait helps entice strikes. This may be compairing apples to oranges.:eek:oooh:

5. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I would think that they can hear it and feel it, but don't imagine it would bother them. If they can hear us making noise in the boat or on the shore, they can surely hear or feel vibration transferring down the line. They've got a fresh dinner and that's all they're trying to think about at that time. I think it has alot to do with the reel too. Some baitcasters have a very loud clicker and some don't. This is just my personal opinion.

6. SouthernCatdaddy

SouthernCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dont really know, good question.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I used to wonder about this and also the noise (vibrations) created by the clicker going through the rod holder into the giant sound box that an aluminum hull is. I have fished night with clickers and nights without and really found no difference.
    Stomping around, dropping things in the boat etc will, I believe, deter a fish from taking a bait in the first place but once they take it I have enough hook point exposed that I am confident in setting the hook rarely miss fish.
    Like Katmandeux said, some of the fish, some of the time...W

8. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I hear alot of people say that cats are not hook shy, so I don't think the vibration would make a difference to them but not sure

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm pretty sure they do feel it, but honestly, I don't have the peristence/patience to sit there and hold a rod nor do I believe in Deadsticking. You have a chance to loose your set up. Clickers have worked for me very well while flathead fishing, but for some reason using clickers for channel cats is alot harder. Any of you guys experience the same?

10. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well iv always herd that the tension and the pulse of the cliker will make the fish that much more agresive. But dont hode that aginst me! Thats just what iv herd.:smile2:

11. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I heard thier whole body is a sensory organ, but I dont think it has an effect on the fish, we ve caught some pretty good ones with the clicker on

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I think a fair way to look at it is this...

When using circle hooks, you wait for the rod to load - ie for the fish to start swimming while your rod is pulling against them. Those who use circle hooks swear by them, but which do you think would deter a catfish more? A small vibration, or the firm resistance of a rod??

That said, when it comes to channels, my bud and I were fishing one night, both using trebles, and next to each other. He was tight lining, and I was using a clicker. He was catching his, and I was missing mine! (Thankfully, I was fishing with more than one pole, so my other setup was tightlining like him).

So, that said, maybe its not the clicker for channels, MAYBE it is, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I have had some nice runs with the clicker and yet to catch a channel. Who knows!

13. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    It would be like tying 2 tin cans together with a piece of string. I doubt you can get the line tight enough for the vibration to travel since the fish is able to pull line out.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's possible. But if you have your rod in a rod holder, Or anchored down with the clicker on it don't matter. By the time you hear the click, he's hooked and taking drag. I've used clickers and freespooling for years. Now I lock them down. I got tired of getting massive runs to pick up the pole and have them drop it. Then to get finicky with it when they do pick it back up. Now I just reel them in. clickers might play a part in that.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Like others have mentioned, I do not have the patience to hold the pole plus I fish multiple poles @ one time anyway, so that isn't an option.

If I'm in an area where I can expect to catch some larger cats, I'll use my light saltwater rigs that have an adjustable lever drag so that you can preselect the tension against what the fish will pull to set the clicker off.

My favorites are my Shimano TLD 15's...HTH Elliot

16. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im pretty sure they would be abale to feel it.. But when they are hungry I doubt it would really matter. and if you are useing live bait, Im sure the struggle to be free would over ride anything else.

17. ChadG

ChadG New Member

State:
    mo
    First post here guys, I have been lurking for a long time and love the info.

Here is what I think. It boils down to many factors I am always trying different rods and lines. Right now I fish mainly with 4 different rods all rigged different 3 6500c3's and 1 spinning reel. I use braid on 2 of the 6500's 1 is a stiff rod and 1 is a very light rod that is more of a medium heavy action bass rod. I catch more fish on it than any of my other rods and I think it is because the tip is so sensitive that it does not transfer as much of the vibration down the line as the other ones. The last 6500 is on an 8 ft rod but it has mono and it seems to catch about the same ammount of fish as the heavy rod with braid. The spinning rod has mono on it and it is a very flexible rod and I catch the least ammount of fish on it.
    In heavy current fishing for blues most of the time it does not matter they are going to hammer it and give you plenty of time for a hook set.
    If you are fishing in light to no current that is when they really start to drop the bait on you and braided line and stiff rods make it worse.

My method in all conditions is not to use rod holders and set the rods upwhere I can grab them and get the clicker off and my thumb on the reel feeling out the fish. I let him run for just a second then hammer him. The faster you can get the clicker off the more fish you will catch.

The last thing is it all comes down to the fish. I have had some fish bite when I was fighting another fish on another rod and peel off line and make the clicker sing for 10 seconds or more, and then some will give it a few clicks and they will be gone.

And with channel cats I have have very poor luck using clickers, and expecially stiff rods. You need a light tipped rod and as soon as you seiit bounce hammer him.

But I think clickers definatly help me cathc more fish. my theory is they have a little time to get the bait fully into their mouth before you set the hook on them. Plus they are just plain cool. there is nothing like the sound of a clicker going off when a fish goes on a run.

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    welcome to the BOC Chad,

I dont think the clickers make the fish drop the bait,IMHO I think it usualy pulls free as the fish turns or when he shakes his head after feeling the pressure of the hook. I've had them run to seem like forever and then stop, just to have him flip off after I start reeling him in and get him close to the bank:sad2:

19. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hey gang.... all I can say is that at times on the Colorado river.. with the current really moving, at times my lines and grafite poles really are "humming".... can even hear the sound of it through the hull of my aluminum boat.... I have thought about what you all are mentioning etc... I usually use a "line out clicker" on my Abu's, and on the baitrunner on the Shimano. catch channels and flats.... but maybe the sound is why the flats are harder to entice to bite.

bayrunner Ray

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

you bet your bass they can feel it! its even worse with braids!(i never use braids for tight lining catfish)the only time i KNOW it effect them is very early though. i fish channel cats at ice-out, they are real spooky when they first come into skinny water. i found out a way to hookum though. lay the rod on the ground and pull about 3-4ft of line out between the reel and fist eyelet. lay line in a s curve in the grass beside it. when a cat takes the bait you have time to react before it gets to feel a thing! its the only thing i have found to hook them consistently at the time of year.

naturally this is a tactic for non current situations.