Clicker Questions

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Critter Getter, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    I'm going to be fishing the White River in the near future and am wanting to try freespooling with the bait clicker on. With the water level so low I'm gonna be in a jon boat without any rod holders and I don't want to see one of my poles decide to jump out of the boat when i'm not paying attention... I mostly fish the Ohio River and there is too much current so I have never tried it before. What type of hooks should I use is one of my biggest questions. I use circles for tightlining, would they work fine for freespooling or should I use a Kahle or J-hook?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I like J hooks myself. Recently bought some circle hooks but haven't used them much yet so can't really say although a lot of guys use them and swear by them. I made a cheap redneck rod holder using a nylon rope stringer and 2 el cheapo clips like guys use for keys. Tie one on each end of the stringer, wrap one end around a boat cleat or other stationary object on boat and clip the rope. On the other end, make one single wrap around your rod and pole and clip the rope. Now you have an inexpensive, portable insurance policy to make sure Mr. Big doesn't take your rig and you can relax and enjoy fishing the way it was intended. Hope this helps.

:cool2:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not to sound like a jack@$$, but my best advice would be to get some rod holders. You can buy some good clamp on portable models or just build some out of PVC tubing and attach them to the boat. I had about 6 or 8 PVC tube holders in my old jon boat and they are by far my favorite rod holders of any I have used.

If you are really concerned about loosing a rod (I had one jump right out of the boat once with a 10 pound blue on the other end - managed to snag the line and get the rig and the fish back), then you could always attach a bit of cord and tie the rod to something to be safe.

That being said, I love kahle hooks. Just be sure you are tight to the fish before trying for a hook set. Even then, don't slam into them so much as just come tight, and then maybe pump it a bit once or twice to make sure the hook is set.

4. Critter Getter

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    Putting rod holders in the boat wouldn't be that big of a deal but the boat I'll be using isn't mine. If it was it would have rod holders all over it.

5. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    im confused when u say free spool clicker on my reels i have freespool where is like i cast and there is no drag at all, then i have a clicker where its a small amount of drag and makes a click when a fish runs with it.

ive always fished with the clicker on. it depends on the bite but i almost always and i think ill be sticking with the circle hooks, with circles its best to let the fish run with the bait, especially with big baits i give a 5 second countdown and really big baits 12+ inches i sometimes will count up to 10 seconds. then i click off the clicker and let the full drag set the hook.

the clicker sould have light enough drag that it wont take a rod off the boat and if your worried about i would make a lease that clips around the rod above the the reel like we use while tuna fishing.

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Attach a hose clamp (radiator clamp) to the rod butt with a piece of rope or bungee cord tightened underneath it. Tie on a carabeener (sp?) to the other end of the rope and clamp it to a cleat or something else substantial on the boat. You're rod won't go for a swim and you can quickly disconnect it to fight a fish.

7. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If im tightlining i use circle but if you know your gonna have you clicker on up there the whole time id' just put J or kahles on before you go it takes a little practice to use circles with a clicker IMO.

8. Critter Getter

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    delaware river, sorry for the confusion but I'm trying to talk about something I have no prior experience with.

Aaron, I haven't seen a hook that wasn't a circle for quite a while... Gonna stick different hooks on each rod and just figure out which one I like more. Guess I can't really go wrong that way.

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    you can use circles with your clicker, I do all the time except for when I'm fishing for just channels. The way I do it is once the fish takes it and I have my rod in hand I turn the clicker off, leaving the rod in freespool momentarily, then apply pressure to the spool with my thumb. As the rods start to load is when I engage my reel and when the rod loads good enough I start reeling fast until I get hooked up. I've never had a problem with my hook up ratio and I've never lost a pole:big_smile:

10. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use rod holders that go in the oarlocks. pvc pipe with a short piece of 3/8 steel rod hose clamped to it, with a 4" piece sticking out the end that goes in the oarlock socket. works pretty good, cheap, fast, easy.

11. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Kahl and circles both work for me It just depends on what type of bait im using.

12. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    All i use is clickers and circle hooks. (usually 8/0 gammas). Let em run then just close the spool. This is with a rod holder though, and I can just let the rod load up and do its work. If i didn't have a rod holder I might just hold the rod with the clicker on with a kahle, then cross his eyes after he's taken 10 feet of line.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Kahles will work like circles if you fish them that way, and, you also have the option of setting the hook..

14. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    I use circle hooks for just about everything. It just depends on how you plan on setting the hook. As long as you dont jerk your rod and let the fish and rod do the work you will be fine. I also like to use bait holders/octopus but, this is only if im using smaller bait.

15. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i run the clicker on my reels in the ohio river

16. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Tim, I used to fish out of a canoe alot using the free spool with the clickers turned on while using kahle hooks. 2 of my 3 rods would be in rod holders while drifting. I've learned that once the clicker start to sing, turn the reel half of a turn and set the hook as quick as possible. If I tried to pick up the rod first and then turn the reel, I would miss a lot of bites. I would aslo use the slinky weight while drifting. Sometimes it would get hung up and the clicker will click. You just have to learn the difference between the snags and the fish making the clicker noise.

While anchored, I used up to 5 rods and I've learned I had to check all my rods quite often in case I bumped a rod that might of locked one of my clickers/bails. I can't tell you how many times I have found a rod that accidentally got bumped and locked while fishing or trying to unhook a fish in the canoe that would bump a rod.

With all of that said, I use to fish for carp as a kid. When I got tired and/or had to releave myself, I would use a stringer or rope and tye my rods up so I wouldn't loose a rod to a fish. I would run the rope above the reel and between the main line and the rod. Much like thunderchicken suggested. I would think about doing the same because you don't know if you will accidentallly lock one of your clickers/bails up while fishing. If you use this method, I would use a long enough rope so you can set the hook and or fight the fish until you can undo the rope. I would defiently use the clickers no matter what hook you using because you don't know if you going to get a double or a triple hit while drifting.

Your question about J-hooks vs. the kahle hooks I can't answer which is better since I use Kahles for anchor fishing now and circles most of the time while drifting. I would think the J-hook will work just as good. I've seen drift fishermen using j-hooks the same way you would use circle hooks. I've also caught fish with the reel locked with a kahle on the line. The fish hooked themselves. Just remember when putting the bait on, leave enough room for the exposed point of the hook to do its job. Hope this will help you.

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can use clickers with your circle hooks I do it all the time. Here is what works best for me. When you here the clicker going pick up the rod. If the fish is tearing line just start to slowly reel in. Try not to "set the hook" or jerk the rod. Just slowly pick it up and reel in nice and slow until you really feel it pulling then just reel em in. If it is the slow kind of bite where they run for a few feet then wait and run again I pick up the rod and keep it in my hands after the first run. Then I turn the clicker off and keep my thumb over the line. This allows me to really let them run before I try to get the hook in them. If the fish seems smaller sometimes I will use my thumb on the line to slow down the run and that will set the hook then I engage the reel and go to work. If they are pulling faster I will engage the reel and then let them load up the rod, once the rod is bending I reel it in. The MOST important part is not setting the hook and letting the fish do it. Circle hooks work by the fish running one direction and the line with the hook on it coming from the other so any jerk or swoop of the rod can lose fish. Circle hooks are a slower hookset, but the hooksets seem better in my opinion.

18. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Tell your freind or who evers boat it is he/she should get some rod holders . :wink:

I happen to know a great place to get them at a great price . monsterrodholders.com