Clicker question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fisherman94580, Apr 1, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm new to fishing with baitclickers, but when fishing with one, do you turn on your clicker and put it in free spool, or just turn the clicker on and let it set?

2. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    After you cast out and get everythign situated, you have to set the reel on freespool and slide the clicker on, when you hear it go off or need to set the hook there are some very helpful methods on setting your hook with a baitclicker in this thread in the flathead catfishing section of the forums: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44387

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Aaron, it's your choice buddy. Sometimes we free spool with the clicker and sometimes we tight line with the clicker. It just depends how much time you want to stare at your rod. lol:smile2:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, if you fish with circle hooks, you may want to keep the reel engaged and clicker on. Your drag needs to be set tight enough to hook the fish though. If they are feeding finicky, disengage the reel so they MAY run further or take the bait deeper.

5. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I always free set the free spool and then turn the clicker on. That is what i do. Everyone has his own way to do it. Read about all the ways it is done a do what makes you comfortable. If you set the free spool you just want to make sure you remeber the it is free spooling before you set the hook:big_smile:

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always loosen the drag so I can pull the line from the reel with a 2 or 3 lb pull with the clicker on. A lot of ways to skin a cat, isn't there. :smile2: