Clicker Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by strictly catfish, Jun 11, 2009.

1. I am hoping to get some feedback on this question.
    I can't see my pole at night if a fish bites so if I put the hook on freespool and engage the clicker can I still hook a fish with a circle hook when in freespool?
    I guess what my question is, can you still hook a fish on freespool with a circle hook?
    Thank you for your feedback.

sTRICTLY Catfish

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes and no, its not the best thing, to do, get a glowstick and tape it on the tip, or freespool with a kael,,some do use that methed but i lost most fish doing that

3. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    All of this depends on how much tension is on the line in freespool with the clicker on.....

IF your reel has very little tension while in freespool with the clicker on, then you may not be able to get the most of circle hooks. In which case I would simply switch over to Octopus hooks... but then I like octos'

A lot of people I know simply loosen the drag down to enough tension that the fish can run and yet the tip of the rod will still dip when there's a fish on. Since you don't have to be in a hurry to set the hook there is plenty of time to re-adjust the drag when time to fight the fish.

This is exactly why I prefer a lever drag reel like the Avet SX. Yes I know it's expensive, but I can adjust the drag setting so that when I have the lever in the "bait" position it will provide just enough tension to allow for the use of circles. Then with a slight movement forward, it will go into direct fish fighting mode. Better yet, when all is said and done, I simply pull the lever back down to free spool to cast out and I'm back in business with no guessing, no fondling and fidgeting, and right on target where I want my drag to be.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What you need to do is if you are freespooling with circle hooks and a fish starts taking line out.....flip off the clicker and then let the rod load up and put the pressure on him and reel him in.:big_smile:

5. I believe I would have to leave the clicker on with no drag so the clicker will sound off while the fish is taking the bait. Otherwise I would have no means of finding out when the fish takes the bait because I can not see my pole.

6. I am fishing with an Abu 6500 so I would have to tighten the line so I can reel him in because I would have to leave the reel on freespool so I can hear when he takes the bait.

7. Thank's for the reply everybody. I guess I will have to go with the glow-Wraps.
    I just hate the idea of putting those things on my rad Catfish Safari rods!

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    You can leave the clicker on, and have your drag set lightly,, and the fish can still hook himself, and alert you..
    You don't have to be in freespool to have the clicker on, and it won't hurt a thing to do that..

9. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have to say that it is just alot easier not to use the clicker when using a circle hook, yes it is possible but it is a little tricky I think.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Nothing tricky about engaging and disengaging the clicker..On an Abu...

I was understanding ,,,,,, he wanted to be alerted,, and that's what the clicker is there for..:big_smile:

I don't think I answered the original question,, Will a fish get hooked on a circle, in freespool .. I don't use circles,,,,,,,,but,,,
    I'd engage the spool, lighten the drag a lot (experiment with how much), and use the clicker,, simply an option:wink:

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i posted the same thing, the qwestion is whats your ideal drag setting for a blue cat, i know my clikers put tention on the line so it a drag issue , i set my drag so that wen i pull on my reel it takes a little mussle to pull but not alot, some say thats to tight, i dont know,do you want your drag to come off your reel with no force, id think that would put your hookup in jerperdey ,loli cant spell,

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    what joe was saying is fish like your saying to do clicker on in freespool, then when the fish starts pulling the clicker turn the handel to take it out of freespool so the fish can set the hook. the clicker in freespool on a 6xxx wont do it but doing as said will.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you dont want to use the freespool......loosen the drag just enough to keep the fish from breaking your line and keep the clicker sound on. The circle hooks or kahle hooks will work just fine. I do this all the time and the hook ups are great. I also do this with spinning reels for big cats with big baits....just loosen up the drag a little bit so the fish can get line and not break it.....you have plenty of time for a final drag adjustment after the fish is hooked and the fight has begun. Drags may need adjusted anyway if the fish is very large as the fight continues....the most important thing is to get the hook in him and this way works great for me.....give it a try!:big_smile:

14. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    When we go to the neighbor's lake house I will often go set two rods on the dock in freespool with clickers and circle hooks until we go out in the boat. Often times I go back in the house while they are set. I've caught plenty of fish doing this and they don't seem to have any problem hooking themselves. They put a pretty good bend in the rod before they start pulling line. Often I'll look out the window from the house and see the rod bending over as the fish is stripping line. Haven't caught any monsters doing this but have caught them anywhere from just big enough to see they're biting to 15 pounds.

The ambassadeur 6500 clickers seem to put plenty of tension on the line in freespool. I don't like to mess with the drag like that because then it's difficult to set it right while you're fighting the fish.

If I'm watching the lines I'd rather not use the clicker though. For night fishing I prefer to use a small LED light on my hat. I'm going to try using the Team Catfish rod wraps that glow in the dark the next time I go.