Clicker - Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SURFPREP, Sep 25, 2009.

1. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Looking at buying a Abu Garcia 6500TC. Only concern is that I like circle hooks. My current reel locks and the hook sets. Will the hook set with a clicker?

2. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

no not with the clicker engaged it will just keep running. I have a 6500 and all you have to do is take a half crank on the reel so it engages or apply thumb pressure to the spool and engage the reel. I use circles and clickers ALL the time and these methods work best for me.

3. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Very helpful info.

If the clicker isn't engaged will the reel just free spool or is there a stop on it?

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You choose to put the reel in free spool or locked spool. Locked is for when you reel in fish that is where your drag kicks in just like reeling in on any reel. Your clicker has two functions, 1 if makes noise if you get a run and 2 it stops the line on your spool from tangling in free spool. If you have your line in free spool and the clicker is off you will get a lot of tangles when a fish pulls hard. The clicker applies just enough friction to slow the reel down so you don't get tangles no matter how hard they pull. The clicker is actually a completely separate function to the free spool function. If my reel is in free spool unless I am thumbing the line I always have the clicker on. Sometimes I will turn the clicker off even when the reel is not in free spool. This will allow you to hear the clicker when the fish takes drag. I would suggest turning the clicker off once a fish is hooked.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Actually a clicker has one true function...a line out alarm...it says it in your directions ; )

You can choose to fish with the reel in free spool/clicker on if you wish but I wont. I've had to many big cats/stripers hit me so hard and fast that the spool spun so fast that when it stopped the line keep spinning, and that makes bird nests. Its nothing more than a thin plastic part slowing the spool down for ya...that don't always happen. You can tighten down the spool tension knob to help but then every time you go to cast, the tension will have to be backed off ( if you forget then you will watch your bait come flying off during the cast ).

I run only circles on Abu 6500's but I only use the clicker for the alarm if needed. I also keep the reel locked and the drag set between 3#-6#. Circles aren't meant to be drug around then snatched by locking down the reel. Best results come from a tight line so the hook gets set right away..., as soon as he has it in his mouth there is no chance of him spitting the hook. The rod loads up, you reel in the reel. If he is big enough he will pull drag and the clicker will sound off. If you want the clicker to sound off on lighter fish then back off your drag. If ya run fee-spool, some fish will feel it before you lock that reel down.

Each to his own but this is my best and honest opinion .

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

yes the line will just come out like you're casting I would not recommend leaving it in freespool tried it once bad idea lol, the only way to stop it is engage your reel.

7. You can use the clicker with reel engaged or not.
    Welcome to the B.O.C.

8. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks, just order a 6500TC and do intend to read the instructions when it comes in. I think that will be the first time I've ever read instructions.

Bill

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    When I'm bank fishing I always run in free spool with the clicker activated.
    Since I've made my rod holders, I haven't lost a fish this way. The fish has to bend that rod real good before he gets that clicker to make any noise, by the point he's hooked.

Once I see a fish bending the tip, I usually just close the spool on him and let him load it up. For the one's I didn't get to do that too, they were already hooked while they were peeling out line with the free spool and clicker engaged.

The major difference is the angle of your rod tip. I position my holders at 45 degrees all the way to 90, and I see no problems running free spool and clicker with circle hooks.

10. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I'm confused about your post....

When your in free spool you can not bend any rod over hard nor would your rod go flying because it lets out line until you engage the reel.

Maybe I'm missing something or not fully understanding your post. I just didn't want newer folks getting the wrong picture here.....I aint tryin the annoy ya,,,just wanted a better understanding about your post.

Thank you
    -Jim-

11. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I usually keep my rods real close to a 90 degree angle when I'm bank fishing. I use a rod with a super sensitive tip (Tiger Rods), so the rod tip bends even at the slightest tug. The rod tip will bend pretty decent before line makes it's way out of the spool with the clicker on.

If a fish hits it and keeps running, the rod tip will stay at a good bend also.

I just close the bail while it's still in the holder and wait for the that rod to really load up - indicating they're "on".

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Oh, your talking about using a bait runner spinning reel then ?...I noticed you said " close the bail ". If so, that's a big difference from a 6500 bait caster that he is talking about ; )

13. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    with the reel in freespool and clicker on the spool does not move as easy as peeps are saying the clicker adds resistance and takes a decent amount of pull from the fish before it starts to sing, so yes if your using a soft tip rod the rod will bend before line comes out, which if you ask me is perfect for circles

14. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ok, I'm gonna beat this till its dead, lol....

I just now, went outside with my Abu 6500C3 and turned my clicker on and put it in free spool. I took my scales and measured the pull and it came to 2 ounces. This is with the adjusted to cast a 2 oz weight and bait.

The clicker, which is nothing more than a tiny plastic piece is nothing more a baseball card in a bicycle wheels spokes.

So..I ask again...where is there enough resistance to hook a fish with a circle hook ? You might hook him form engaging the reel but 2 oz is not enough to pull a circle hook through a cats mouth.

Sorry folks...I cant agree at all...especially since I've done it and lost enough fish due to them spitting the hook before I lock the reel down.

15. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Oh, I didn't mean beat this post to dead...just the free spool idea in general. Sorry bout the way I worded that...my bad.

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Agreed 100%.......just thumb pressure applied will do the trick....If you use heavy action rods apply the pressure little by little until you know the fish is on, then engage the reel.:wink:

17. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The Bait Feeder on a spinning reel works the samw way. You are not going to hook a fish with it still engaged and it takes very little pressure to pull out line. However, with my Okuma's, that bait feeder tention can be adjusted to account for current. I have had a fish hit so hard with the bait feeder adjusted loose the the spool kept turning and bird nested also.

18. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Gotcha Jeff ; )

I own them also so I know exactly how hey work ; )....but this thread was not talking about those reels at all....it was about the 6500Tc. That's why I spotted out that post. People shouldn't mix up their replies and confuse people...they should go and read the first post and answer accordingly. Or at least that's my opinion.

The spinning reels are better suited because of the tension knob on the bottom. On bait caster you cant do that unless you use the side tension knob , but then when you cast it isn't set to do so. On a spinning reel it doesn't matter.

Just for piece of mid Jeff, do you run bait castors in free spool ?.. I was just wondering, thanks.

-Jim-

19. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    all this debating and I think I have the answer maybe:confused2: engage the reel after your clicker sounds off. Jim is right there is no way you will hook a fish with your clicker on and in free spool without applying thumb pressure to the spool or engaging the reel. If you can do it, can I watch and learn?:smile2:

20. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I agree I use clickers and circle hooks all the time myself.