Clendening Lake Tailwaters Info

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wolfman, Mar 8, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Created under the same act (Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District) as Tappan Lake, Clendening Lake is our second stop along the tailwater trail. Located in Harrison County, Clendening Lake and its 1,800 acres of water were created by impounding Brushy Fork on Big Stillwater Creek.
    Brushy Fork features mostly flatheads but contains a few channel cats. Clendening Lake is particularly known for its flathead catfish populations. “We have heard of anglers catching up to 60-pound flatheads at Clendening,” Wolfe noted.
    Parking sites off county Road C-69, which crosses the dam, provide access to Brushy Fork or the Clendening Lake tailwaters. County Road C-69 may be reached from the south via state Route 799 and from the north via state Route 800.

2. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just wanted to correct a couple things........Clendening has quite a large number of nice sized channel cats.
    thet state record Flathead comes from this lake, but you do not here of many big flatties coming from rod and reel anglers. Most of the big flatheads are taken by trotline or jug line. Occasionally you will here abotu a saugeye fisherman trolling and catching a bit flathead, or the Crappie fisherman catching a 40 lb flattie on a crappie minnie.

One of the problems with Clendening and the flathead population is that it does not have the best spawning habitat for flatheads. That combined with no limits on flatheads and people jug lining the lake hard for a good bit of they year, are directly to blame for the decline. One family boasted they caught over 150 catfish on jug lines over one weekend last year. It once was popular to use barrels sunk in the water to trap large flatheads, but that is now illegal. Most people have already heard about how the record flatties was caught was a barrel and not rod and reel.
    There are certain areas of the lake that allow jug lines/trotlines, but if you fish the lake from a boat, you will most likely come across lines that are not in the proper area.

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    another note.......County Road C-69 does not cross the dam. in fact, there are no roads on the dam at all. there is a small park at the dam with restroom facilities and picnic tables. The dam is known to be a good Flathead spot. Try the far end of the dam if fishing from shore;)

4. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    :rolleyes: clendening is a great lake for ALL cats. :rolleyes:

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    please fill us in with an informed post since I did not see you catch any fish over maybe 7 lbs last year when we fished it. I want to hear all about the good flathead fishing

6. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    :rolleyes: well i know for a fact that my wife had one over 10, you know everytime i fished out there you werent standing "watching" me fish :rolleyes: you seem to have covered all the important facts in your very information packed post that you made :rolleyes:

7. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i fished for channel cats everytime i was out there last year , it would have been hard to catch flatties on chicken livers. :rolleyes: this year i plan to target flatties out there more, since i know everytime i go to my flathead hole on the river it will be taken since it is just a "community hole" :rolleyes:

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah I know.......I do remember that one channel you guys had on the stringer that wasn't over 10......you said you didn't weigh it, but it was a nice fish! Big Channel cat.....Way to go to the wife!:) :0a27:

9. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah I know about the community holes.......that one spot on 416 has been a community hole for years and years. You never know if anyone will be fishing it. That is why you have to have back ups for the river if you fish the community holes. Heck one spot I fished last year, I just found out is private property......the guy says no fishing......go figure. I thought it was prety much open to anyoen that wanted to walk to it:sad: