Clendening Lake flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by joadb, Feb 22, 2007.

1. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    whers can i cath flatheads on clendening?ihave fished 2 years around the dam area without any flats.i use shad, live gills,and shiners still nothing.i have seen the pictures at the baitshop and at the marina so ifeel they are there,but where?thanks

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My suggestion would be to fish the shallow coves and bays where the crappie are spawning in the spring. The big flatheads will move in and invade the crappie beds in the shallow water sometimes as shallow as 2 to 3 feet.

Piedmont, Salt Fork and Seneca Lakes also hold big flatheads. The state record for Ohio came from Clendening.

Try using live bluegills, creek chubs, large goldfish what ever is legal.

3. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    thanks for the advice,i also fish peidmont quite a bit whithout catching any flats.maybe i should not focus on the dam areas so much.i was always taught that cats are in the deepest parts of the deepest lakes,should i go shallow more.thanks

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Mike don't limit yourself to just one part of a lake. Especially if it is not producing for you. Move around a experiment with different areas until you find a spot that works. Even then don't just stick to one hole, try to find several places for a backup plan. Them flatheads will not necessarily be in the deepest spots. They do move up into the shallows. They have to eat so they will go where the bait fish are. Best advice I can give you is just move around and experiment until you find Mr. Whiskers.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck,hope you get into the big ones!

6. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Check out this lake map. A great place to fish for flatheads is in the creek beds that run through the lake. Catfish use the creek beds as a highway. My largest catfish to date (47lb. 5oz.) was caught in just such a spot at Tappan. A great place to hit these spots, is at the bridges. You can also fish the creeks that flow into the shallows, of the backwaters. Lots of oxygen flows into these areas, which bring food for bait fish and thus attract fish of all kinds.:wink:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/PDF/lakemaps/Clendening Lake.pdf

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yes, definately try fishing shallow waters in the spring at night

8. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    thanks alot for the info guys.i have only been a member for a few days and i can already tell im gonna have a better fishing year because of it.

9. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Ive NEVER caught much of anything in the area around the dam, not even many channel cats !!! id try fishing the st rt 799 end of the lakes !! are you boat fishing or bank fishing ??? from a boat find the creek channels and fish along the dropoffs !! from the bank try to find out where a creek channel runs near the bank and throw as close to it as you can cast. i personally havent caught any flatheads from Clendening, but i just started fishing it for flatties last summer !! i fished with a guy who knows what hes doing and saw several nice fish caught !!! id try fishing off of the smaller bridge on 799 fish from it up towards the big rocks in the corner in that area along the rip rap there !! fishing off of or near BOTH bridges on 799 can be productive !!! :smile2:

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Mike

If ya post in your profile where u r from it may help others help you.

Welcome aboard bro.

:cool2:

11. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i think i just edited my profile,im kind of new to the whole computer thing.i live in akron, by the way are there any flats in nimisila reservoir.i have seen the pictures in the baitshop but i suspect they are not recent.

12. MRFLATHEAD

MRFLATHEAD Guest

find the creek channels in the lake then try find some cover down timber ect. this the key to finding flatheads. fish the creek channels in coves with little timber. you will find flatheads

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    joadb

Thanks for updating your profle.

Yes on Nim but a small population. Also West Branch with a very small amount. Mog used too have a few Flats but alot of the lakes have none to very little "SPAWNING STRUCTURE"

My opinion is even Clendening is losing its wood stucture and getting a deeper mud bottom every year that passes.

Salt Fork and a few others have some rocky areas that allow easier nesting for the Shovels.

?? Want more Ohio Flatties in the Lakes??.....need more spawnng stucture for the "RIVER Cat" Flathead. Ohio has to re-Stock the Channels in the smaller lakes for the same reason.

Ohio now has the new size rules on the inland Flatheads but if ya want more Flats in the lakes there are better ways in my not to humble OPINION.

Just my 2 cents

:hell_boy:

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Listen to MrFlathead!!!

15. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish nimisila a lot, ive seen those same pictures at eddie's. i havent caught any flats from there yet, but im sure theyre in there.

16. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Baitkiller is spot on! Clendening is a great lake for flatties, but the ones catching most of the big ones are the jug fishermen. The lake is relatively void of good spawning structure. It is also getting silted in really bad as is the case with the other MWCD lakes in the area. I don't know how bad this hurts the flatties, but it can't help them much. Some places that used to be good when I was young are very shallow from the silt. You can try the bays along 799 for flatties. Many big ones are caught from shore there every year. Another area that produces big ones is Chaney's Rock. I personally don't liek fishign the dam for cats, but have heard that if you go to the end of it, there is a good area to fish........I don't know where exactly:crazy: I fish Clendening a good bit in the spring/early summer.....if you wanna meet up, we can fish 799 sometime.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah definetly the shallows and the coves...especially early. get your baits around any structure that you can find, which may not be much. its different than river fishing. fewer fish, but most likely better ones...jason