Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just talked to Scott. He is stoked and geetting ready for the largest and best catfish tournament west of the Mississippi! Big rossi and Russ will be down there as well.

Who else plans to attend the tournament this weekend?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Just talked to Scott. He is stoked and geetting ready for the largest and best catfish tournament west of the Mississippi! Big rossi and Russ will be down there as well.

Who else plans to attend the tournament this weekend?
Next year maybe..... LOL Like..... it is a all day drive up there from down here in the south....

I will have to agree..... It is the biggest tournament in the state...It attracts the bigger individuals of the cat fishing world in the state....

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Wish I could make it, it is really nice up there. Not to mention the ridiculous channel cats they have there. If people really understood the size of these channel cats I think people would come from all over the place. I seriously doubt many lakes in the country produce channels like these. Can't wait to be able to go fish that lake again. Heck, just check out my avatar.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I could make it, it is really nice up there. Not to mention the ridiculous channel cats they have there. If people really understood the size of these channel cats I think people would come from all over the place. I seriously doubt many lakes in the country produce channels like these. Can't wait to be able to go fish that lake again. Heck, just check out my avatar.
Hell Yes! Them some big channels!

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next year maybe..... LOL Like..... it is a all day drive up there from down here in the south....

I will have to agree..... It is the biggest tournament in the state...It attracts the bigger individuals of the cat fishing world in the state....

Just let me know Big Ray! I will fish it with you and bring home that damn prize!!!!!! Best damn tourney around!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I fished with Randy(Knotgillty) too. Had a blast up there. That Clear Lake is something special. I witnessed it first hand. In less than a 24hr span I caught 18 channels from 5-15lbs, most in the 10-15lb range. The pic on my avatar was taken on Randy's boat. Tell him Sean said "what's up".

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
will do, wish you could make it back up.....
Me too. I'm going down to Blythe to do the flathead thing May 20th-23rd. I don't have a boat right now, but next year I would love to try and make it. Never been for the tourney. I will look around for someone to fish with a lot sooner next year. Can you rent boats at the lake? I'm jealous, wish I could be up there with y'all. Hopefully I can get on a decent flat, then I won't feel so bad.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts

I sure don't like the hype of tournaments....

I'd rather go up there to hear some background music ..... rather than be in a town that is crowded everywhere you go......

Just let me know Big Ray! I will fish it with you and bring home that damn prize!!!!!! Best damn tourney around!
I sure like the way that they do there tournament.....

"At the Catfish Derby we encourage catch -and-release. For fish you bring to the weigh - in station we request that you release them into the main lake after weighing. Please do not release fish in the Keys channels."....
......Great way to conduct an event......

I like eating fish as much as anyone else.... But there are some that do the tournament process for their own personal gain or recognition.....and to hell with the future of the fishery...

Here is California we have a baitfish problem.... and all of the money tournaments on the Colorado River...... Stripers and Catfish.... does take its toll on the fishery....

I have seen Halibut tournaments take their toll, as well as other salt and freshwater species...

But I'll get up to Clear lake in the future......I have driven past it to many times...LOL

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'd rather go up there to hear some background music ..... rather than be in a town that is crowded everywhere you go......

"At the Catfish Derby we encourage catch -and-release. For fish you bring to the weigh - in station we request that you release them into the main lake after weighing. Please do not release fish in the Keys channels."....

I like eating fish as much as anyone else.... But there are some that do the tournament process for their own personal gain or recognition.....and to hell with the future of the fishery...

Here is California we have a baitfish problem.... and all of the money tournaments on the Colorado River...... Stripers and Catfish.... does take its toll on the fishery....

I have seen Halibut tournaments take their toll, as well as other salt and freshwater species...

But I'll get up to Clear lake in the future......I have driven past it to many times...LOL

Great post!

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Whene ever you want to do=iT......... I willl go 1/2 ways:glasses-cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Me too. I'm going down to Blythe to do the flathead thing May 20th-23rd. I don't have a boat right now, but next year I would love to try and make it. Never been for the tourney. I will look around for someone to fish with a lot sooner next year. Can you rent boats at the lake? I'm jealous, wish I could be up there with y'all. Hopefully I can get on a decent flat, then I won't feel so bad.
Good luck at the river, lost a 30+ at the boat last weekend there, get`em for me.....There`s a group of us been going to Clearlake for 12 years now, we go up for a week, you have to make a vacation out of it, it`s too far for a weekend, your up for two nights fishing, cause you don`t want to miss a bite , it might cost you a boat........

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Good luck at the river, lost a 30+ at the boat last weekend there, get`em for me.....There`s a group of us been going to Clearlake for 12 years now, we go up for a week, you have to make a vacation out of it, it`s too far for a weekend, your up for two nights fishing, cause you don`t want to miss a bite , it might cost you a boat........
I'll try and get that 30lb flattie for ya, you just go get that boat, and then take me out on the Colorado River after you win it. LOL Good luck out there bro!

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wish I could make it........Awesome Tournament. It is the real deal!:desire:

·
Registered
67 Posts

It`s not crowded there, It`s too big, there`s 5 or 6 towns around that lake.....
The Catfish are not good eating there anyway, they do not recomend eating the fish at Clearlake........I don`t see many fish kept at all there.........As for the tourney, it does not pay very good , it`s a fund raiser for the community....... As for personal gain, I did win a boat there, and get a check every year to help in the cost of fuel for the ride home, so I guess I did have personal gain...lol.....
Going to Clearlake is an excuse to get together with family and friends and have a great time , It`s a family tradition for me..............And as far as tourneys on the river, I don`t see them being any diferent than gatherings................

GET THE NET !!!!!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Thanks Steve.... I thought that I'd check things out first and then give it a try.... Like you say to far for the weekend.....

I knew that you have been in the money there..... And sounds like you are the man to talk to on accommodations.... I did talk to Randy.."knot guilty" on the places to stay... but always open to more thoughts on doing it right....

Good Luck to you and other Club Brothers that are going to the Tournament .....

Bayrunner Ray

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.