clearing some things up

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Ghoulscout 13, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    ok so i have heard some things around work lately i want to clear up.

1, is it true that we can no longer use bream as bait as he has been reclasified as a game species?

and 2, is it true that we can no longer use treble hooks? i heard it was specific sizes so are the hooks on like dip bait rigs still legal

please help me out here dont want to get in trouble with the wild life marshalls

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    If you catch the bream or blue gill on a hook, you can use it as bait. It has been a protected fish for a long time. You can not use a cast net to catch a bream or blue gill and use it for bait.

I am not aware of any restrictions on treble hooks.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    You can use bream for bait but they have to be caught ona rod&reel. You can't use bream if caught in a castnet because they are considered sportfish. As for the treble hook issue. Idon't see a problem with using treble hooks for cats. I know you can't use treble hooks to snag baitfish , such as shad or herring.

4. straps57

straps57 New Member

State:
    NC
    If questioned about using trebles say you are fishing for gar.

5. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    why not go straight to the source with your questions...ask NCWRC as they will be the one's you deal with not us on the board - http://www.ncwildlife.org/

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...is it true that we can no longer use bream as bait as he has been reclasified as a game species?..."

No, it is NOT true. You can use bream, and any other game fish, as bait. The fish must be of legal size and caught by legal means.

"....is it true that we can no longer use treble hooks?..."

No, that is not true. You can use treble hooks to catch catfish.

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    ok in the regulations book it says there is a creel limit on cat fish on high rock pond, is it talking about highrock lake? if so that is bad for me

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    High Rock Lake and High Rock pond are two different places.

High Rock pond is in Caswell County.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You guys prolly have a creel limit on bream also. Like here its 30 bream ( game fish )caught on RR only. They are counted towards your creel limit even though they are used as bait. If it's not like that in NC then ignore me, LOL.

-Jim-

10. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    again - why not go straight to the source with your questions...ask NCWRC as they will be the one's you deal with not us on the board - http://www.ncwildlife.org/

These are the folks that set the regs and for whom the game warden works. I wouldn't want my defense to the warden or the judge to be "well the folks on the catfish board said I could"