Clear Lake

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by sms7599, Jul 4, 2009.

1. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Going up to Clear Lake the first week of August and just wondering anyone has any info on where or what to try up there..

2. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to go up there for a family reunion when I was younger. My uncle and I were shore bound so we fished kitties at night around the southwest and northwest sides of the lake. There are a few public accesses and in some places you just pull off the side of the road. We looked for openings and gaps between shore and the reed beds and fished the edges with frogs, livers or cut bait. Sometimes the spaces were pretty small but the cats were cruising pretty close to shore after dark. Never much for size(2-5 lbs) but we did get the odd walleye when we were using frogs.
    I've never been out there in a boat but from ice fishing there this winter I can say it has a VERY healthy population of yellow bass.......not sure how you feel about those but they are entertaining and usually bite if you can find them.
    Take it for what its worth but there were a few times they posted bacteria warnings in late summer and advised people not to swim or eat fish from the lake. I'm not sure if they still have problems with that but you'll see signs at the ramps and beeches.

3. sms7599

sms7599 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks those are some good ideas.. I'll check it out and let you know how I do.