Clear Lake with Aerosmith

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KnotGillty, Jul 29, 2007.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Arrived at Clear Lake Friday afternoon with two longtime friends. Water temp was 82+ degrees. Searched for crappie for the first few hours with nothing to show for our efforts. Around 6pm we decided to go anchor up near the outdoor amphitheater at Konocti to get ready for the Aerosmith concert Friday evening. Opening act came on at 7pm. Aerosmith came on about 8:15pm. Just before dark I counted 80 boats in the water. All were there to listen to the concert. There was probably 100 boats by the time the concert ended. I think we could have been 1/2 way across the lake and still heard the music. It was freakin' awesome and the sound clarity was perfect. I bet we didn't have the rods in the water more than 15 minutes when the first channel cat came to the boat. I think we were the only boat out there actually fishing. I never saw another rod or net raised the entire concert. For obvious reasons, everyone else was just there to listen to Aerosmith. It was pretty cool having such a large audience to watch us slay the cats. The vast majority of fish on this trip were right in the 4 to 6 pound range. We would land more than 20 channel cats in this weight range before the trip is over. I can't begin to tell everyone how much fun we had. It really doesn't get any better than listening to a live band & catching fish. Why the fish were active with all the boat traffic and concert noise I'll never know. So the concert ends and we make the long dark trip back towards Redbud. Thank goodness for the GPS on the fishfinder. It's probably 11:30pm before we make the trip back and anchor up above Indian Island. Because the fishing was so good at the Aerosmith concert, we never had time to even BBQ or eat dinner so before putting the poles back in the water, we cook dinner and BS about some of the events of the evening. We catch a bunch more fish before morning with most of them being in the 4 - 6 pound range. There might have been an 8 pounder mixed in there somewhere and we also lost a 10 pounder at the side of the boat because my friends thought they could get him in the boat by using gloves (without a net). We woke up the next morning to a triple header. That was fun.

We pulled anchor and spent the rest of the morning drifting for channel cats. Thankfully, this resulted in a larger grade of fish. I think I only reeled in 3 or 4 fish on this entire trip. My game plan coming into the trip was to get my friends on some fish and let them have all the action. They were not disappointed and neither was I.

We drifted in 14 to 17 feet of water all morning and pretty much had the whole south end of the lake to ourselves as we were the only boat drifting for cats. We were off the water by 11am.

What a way to spend the weekend. I've caught much bigger channel cats at Clear Lake before, but I don't think I've ever had so much fun on an overnight trip. The concert was phenomenal, the fishing was off the hook, the laughs were frequent, and the company was excellent. It's the kind of trip we hope for everytime out. The last hookup of the morning resulted in the 30th channel cat of the trip. We explored 25 miles of water between searching for crappie, going to Konocti, and drifting for cats. If you enjoy music and have never been to a boat-in concert at Konocti, I highly recommend the experience. Aerosmith was Friday night, Bob Dylan was Saturday night, and Heart is Sunday night. I wish I could have been there for the whole weekend. Creedence, Kid Rock, Def Leppard & Styx are just a few of the bands coming this summer.

Lastly, all fish were released to fight another day.

Attached Files:

2. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here are a few more pictures

Attached Files:

3. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here is a pic of the outdoor concert amphitheater where Aerosmith played.

Attached Files:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Man, I wish I could have been there. Sounds like you guys had a blast!!!

5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Yeah, it was a lot of fun dreadnaught.

We didn't find any of the elusive 20 pound channels, but it was a trip we'll be talking about for a long time.

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Man, I wish I could of been there. It sound like you guys had alot of fun. It would be hard to top a fishing trip like that.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Awesome story and pics... thanks for sharin'...

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I want to go. I haven't been to Clear Lake since the early '70s.

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Catfishing AND Aerosmith? It doesn't get much better than that!

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great pics, thanks for sharing.