Clear lake record catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Capt Steve, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Greg Spellhaug (left) and Fred Miranda pose with the 33.33-pound catfish Fred caught on Saturday near Redbud Park in Clear lake. The fish weight was certified by St. Helena Hospital Clearlake and edged the old lake record of 33.25 pounds set in 1995. (Courtesy photo) (The Record-Bee)

Attached Files:

2. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    A brother that was a big catfish when catching a big catfish like that what they do with a fish like that let it go

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is nice. A brute of a channel cat right there for sure. I need to make that derby. Nice winter cat.

4. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    It was released.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    There's ben quite a few 30# out of clear lake ..i belive when the dfg did a shocking of the lake a while back they weighed one channel at 60#:eek:oooh: Now that would be one hell of a cat rght there!

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :crazy:
    (Good Move)
    You guys (California Boys) hear that - so that means that he did that just for one of us to go back up there & have so fun with her next.
    (LoL)
    :0a23:
    But that's the way to do it "every where" fellows (CPR).
    :006:
    :wink:

7. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Well me and my brother talk about going up there fishing my uncle own some land and I think it's the same u need a key to open the gate and fish but i look into it i ask him tomorrow when i see him.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Quite interesting they had to take the catch to the hospital to weight the catch as the local tackle shops were closed. That is always a concern to find a place that could verify your weight without damaging the fish. They had to have a live well handy for that that was sufficient to hold the fish for a time being.

CLEARLAKE -- Fred Miranda of Clearlake achieved his dream of a lifetime on Saturday when he reeled in Clear Lake-record channel catfish.

Miranda's record-setting fish weighed 33.33 pounds and broke the old record of 33.25 pounds by the late Lyle Dyslin of Kelseyville in 1995.

Miranda said he caught his catfish at 4 p.m. Saturday while fishing with buddy Greg Spellhaug, also of Clearlake. The two men were fishing in the south end of the lake near Redbud Park.

The big catfish bit on a piece of dead shad and it took 15 minutes for the two men to land it. Miranda said he called around to several local bait shops to weigh the big catfish but they were all closed, so he called St. Helena Hospital Clearlake and asked if they had a scale big enough to weigh the fish.

Miranda was told to bring the catfish to the hospital where he was met by several curious doctors and nurses at the front door. They weighed the fish in the parking lot and several members of the hospital staff certified the weight.Miranda then took the catfish back to Redbud Park and released it back into the lake.

An avid catfish angler, Miranda won the Clearlake Oaks/Glenhaven annual catfish derby a few years back.

"I always dreamed of holding the lake record for catfish and now it has finally happened," Miranda said.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

that is a beautiful fish!!

ive never seen a channel over maybe 10 lbs

10. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    10 lbs is small for Clear Lake.

11. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Glad to here it was released to fight another day. Thats a great fish. Thanks for sharing

12. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    It could happen to anyone at any time. Here's info on what to do when you land a monster:

State Inland Water Record fish Policy
    The fish must be legally taken under the provisions of a current, valid California sportfishing license.
    The fish must be examined by an employee of the California Department of Fish and Game.
    The facts regarding the capture must be recorded on a form FG 737 (California Inland Water Angling Record Verification). This form must be signed by a permanent Department of Fish and Game employee. (In signing this form the employee is conditionally certifying the authenticity of the record.)
    Following conditional certification, the new record application must be reviewed and approved by the California Department of Fish and Game Inland Fisheries Division. In the event of any dispute regarding the authenticity of any application for any reason, the determination of the Inland Fisheries Division shall be conclusive.
    Photographs of the fish are strongly recommended but not necessarily required. Nor do we require that the fish be killed as part of the authentication process. However, the employee signing the form FG 737 should inform the prospective new record holder that in the event of a dispute regarding species, size, or other information related to the legitimacy of the record, the fish may be required for ultimate resolution of the dispute. It is the responsibility of the angler to retain the fish in a condition for possible further examination until the new record has been officially acknowledged.

RECORD FORM

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Steve... I guess that I was out of town when you did the original post....

Clear Lake Rules ......Got to do it soon.....

14. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    They got big cats in Claerlake, no way........

15. gilmafam

State:
    California
    You have been there Man :eek:oooh:... contest and all....
    Randy.."NotGuilty"...and Robb and BigSean.....all have been there...

We Need to do a gathering there... and join with other clubs...:wink:

16. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I agree with Ya Ray:wink:

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I also agree with this post - "Just say the time & I will be at the place"! :0a23:
    :wink:lol

18. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Wow. Wow is all I can say about the viewing of the new look.....Here I sit at "Squaw Lake" getting ready to do the morning breakfast before going out in the boat.....Just looking at the new site look

19. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    the layout is good, but this shade of blue is hard for me to see. needs to be a little darker IMO.
    gary

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Ray - If I know you - Your eating a meal made by the hands of "Sharlene" - so you sould be" good to go" :go:
    Just one thing that I ask of you:
    "Save Me Some"! (lol)
    :wink:
    Have fun out there guys.