Clear Lake Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by KnotGillty, Apr 30, 2009.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Do we have anyone here on Catfish1 that will be fishing the Clear Lake Channel Catfish derby on May 15th? It's the biggest catfish derby west of the Mississippi. There was almost 500 contestants last year.

Am I the only one around here that will be fishing this derby?

To be honest, I think I've only seen 1 other member ever post a Clear Lake report on this site.

Has anyone ever fished Clear Lake?

2. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,

I did Randy. Many Many Many years ago. When I first moved here to California. I live about a 2 hour ride from there, but don't go because I would need a GUIDE in order to know where to fish. My home is LAFAYETTE RESERVOIR, not as good as Clear Lake, but in my back yard so to speak.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use to always fish Clear Lake (Back in the Day) & I've always wanted to fish in that event, but do to the fact that I don't had a automobile I haven't been up there in years, but I have seen some of the channel cats that came out of there + :worship: some of the ones that you posted, and all I have to say is that "I got to get up there & be a part of that".
    :crazy::0a23:

:wink:

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I USE TO FISH CLEAR LAKE QUITE A BIT ..BUT HAVE NOT BEEN UP THAT WAY FOR SOME TIME NOW ...SURE WOULD LIKE TO GET UP THERE AGAIN SOME TIME SOON.

5. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Randy,

No, I have not fished ClearLake. I definitely think we should consider it for a gathering or gettogether sometime though. I've heard nothing but awesome things about ClearLake. I saw a show on Comcast Sports Net about catfishing at ClearLake and they caught a couple 30+lb cats and plenty in the 15-25lb range. I would love to fish that tournament, but I do not have a boat(as I am sure you would need a boat to enter the tournament). If I had a boat I'd be up there in a heartbeat. I think I remember Bluehunter(Brian) talking about possibly going. Do you have any details or info on the tournament?

Sean!

6. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Unfortunately, Bluehunter (Brian) will not be making the Clear Lake derby this year. Hopefully next year things will fall into place for him.

Everything you need to know about the derby can be found here: http://www.clearlakeoaks.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=30

I have a partner flying in from Hawaii for this event. However, he has not booked his flight yet. If he flakes, I may need a last minute replacement. My boat is big enough to sleep two comfortably. Full enclosure for the elements if it gets windy / rainy. Heater for warmth, stove to cook on, and lots of fish catching mojo. I launch Friday morning and don't take the boat off the water until Sunday morning. I'll post back if I need a partner.

It's hard to believe that so few people actually fish this lake. Yes, you do need a boat. It's a world class channel cat fishery. There are only a handful of places you can say that about in the US.

Tight lines. . .

7. Stockton CatMan

Stockton CatMan Member

State:
    CA
    I fished there back in the late 60's and early 70's. Then, they didn't have all the homes built up on the lake and you could find desent fishing spots on the bank. I plan to go up sometime in the next month or so. Actually looking into purchasing some property. But I did hear that along while ago some divers went down and saw Cats as big as a human down there. It's possible. Clear Lake is the largest natural lake in CA. It's spring fed and about a Million years old. When I was a kid, we used to go up on Friday evening and fish all night, then all day Saturday. When leave the lake we would have well over 200+ fish, a mixed bunch, cats, bluegills, bass and crappies. Well you see it brings back fond memories. About the only real time I spent with my Dad.
    StknCatman

8. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    I PM'd you MY ph# call if you need me. Meet ya any where ya want on the lake, on land on course. Will even pay for boat gas, know myself around a boat and can bait my own hook. Im serious, call if your bud is a no show.

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I too want to put in my bid for being a replacement partner. :cross::0a32:
    :0a23:

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I wish I lived closer to that lake. Give me an excuse to buy a boat again:smile2: When Randy took me out on his boat to Clear Lake, I fell in love with it.

11. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    And I only showed you one little itty bitty corner of the lake. I just wish we didn't have to deal with gail force winds all night. That really put a damper on the fishing for that trip. Maybe we can make it happen another time brutha.

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey bro, i had a great time. Thanks for the trip. Can't wait to read your concert reports:wink:

13. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    Hey Bert, If neither of us get to go,maybe we can get together and build a raft built for two. I do know there are some bank fishing spots back in area behind Indian Is,just dont know how to get to them from land. I think a person goes thru the game reserve,not sure. If not, I do get half off at the State park and we can camp there and bank fish. You know I can cover you with camp gear. Let me know.. Really!!!! and do you think your cute little icons are going to work gettin you on board,Ha!!!! Call me

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :big_smile:
    Sounds good to me Steve - you know that I'm always ready to fish - & we are talking about "Clear Lake"! - "That really pumps me up"! - "Lets work on that"!.
    :0a23:

15. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Plane flight booked from the islands to the main land. Thanks for the offers guys, but I don't need a replacement. Wish us luck in the derby

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Randy hope you and your partner take first place ...You have the skill's now go out there and kick A$$.

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Yea" - "I Second That" - Go out there and represent Randy, so I could go in to work and say "Yea I Know that guy" - Just like I did with "Steve" (WCCM).
    I just love to show the "Non-Belivers" at my job that I know & fish with "Real Fishermen". (lol) :0a23:

18. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    what do you mean Bert? you know and fish with real fishermen!! YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE "REAL FISHERMEN !!!!!"

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yea Ray, I agree. You know you bring it to the table every time you are on the water:wink:

20. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    And we will ALL bring it to the table july 25th,26th