Clear Lake CA

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by airforceben, Dec 19, 2006.

1. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    goin to clear lake next weekend and would appreciate any advice from anyone whos been there:smile2:

2. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Been there, done that. That channel catfish you see in the picture is a clear lake cat. Not the best time of year to go fishing there. The wind will probably be high on the water and the bite for cats will be slow and bass will be slower. If your gonna go check the weather and stay at one of the resorts on the clear lake oaks, nice side of the lake. Be carful though cuz there are some resorts that are for alternative lifstyle people around there. Dont be afraid to ask if it is a family resort. Most rooms run about 65 a night, but that includes a bedroom, kitchen, livingroom, and a bar-b-q. I used to stay at the seabreeze resort. That was at least 7 yrs ago so remember about asking if there a family resort. Also since its the off season you might be able to barter down the room price. most resorts offer a dock and some have boats for rent. I would fish the north end by the river whether in a boat or not. If you can think of any more specific questions just ask. good luck

3. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i grew up in vacaville calif and in last 16 yrs id never eat anything out of clear lake or berryessa! catch and release only... too much polution and lead in water form mining from yrs before especially mining north fo berryessa...Good luck fishing though

4. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    what bait would you use???

5. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    My channel was caught on clams, but frozen mackrel or grass shrimp is good too. If you have a cast net you can look for shad or shiners as well, but always take something store bought with youjust in case. Now I may be in GA, but I grew up right there in that area so I know what I'm talkin about. Give it a shot and good luck. And I just was lookin at my previous post. and it reads kinda funny, "Nice" is a town. So stay on the clearlake oaks/nice side of the lake

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    :waaaht: Do not use a cast net!!!!
    Cast nets are illegal to use in CA. and just possesion of one while fishing is considered proof of use. If you own a casting net leave it at home while fishing in Ca.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Airforce Ben,

I have not fished Clear lake before. I have wanted to, but have always been traveling north to Oregon as we were just "traveling through". The lake is close to the road, park and fish...

I did notice that most of the folks have hoists to lift their boats out of the water in the winter, as the winds can really come though here....

It is a shallow lake... lots of carp and the locals shoot them with bow and arrows... here is a site that might help you out with information...

http://www.catfished.com/index.html

bayrunner ray

8. richard dunbar

State:
    Washington
    oops sorry about the cast net.

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah Rich, when you get into some of the areas in the country that still respect peoples rights, it gets hard to remember how restrictive things in Ca. are.

10. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    How was the trip?

There is a lot of baitfish in the water and the cats are very lazy as they are gorged. Not many cat reports as of late. The best fishing right now is for crappie. I've seen 3 or 4 recent pics of crappie over 3 pounds. They too are munching on the abundent baitfish. Find the bait balls and you'll find good fishing. Good crappie locations are Konocti, 4 poles area, shag rock, and kono tyee to name just a few.

Hope you had a good time.