Clear Lake 5/10 overnight

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by KnotGillty, May 12, 2008.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here's a report I posted over in the Channel Cat forum. Since it's a California report, I thought some of you would enjoy a local report too.

Went to Clear Lake on Friday with my buddy Ric. Expectations were high for the trip. Lines were in the water by 3pm and we started off doing some drifting. On our second drift Ric hooks up and the skunk is off the boat.
    [​IMG]

We anchored up overnight and caught several small fish with the biggest channel being around 7 or 8 pounds. I hooked into and battled a very large channel cat around 4am. When I got it close to the boat, I just couldn’t control the beast and it did the unthinkable as it wrapped 3 times around the anchor line before using it’s brute force to snap my 17 pound mono like it was nothing. We always hope for a big fish on these overnight trips it’s no fun to lose the battle when you get a trophy fish so close to the boat. You never know how many chances you'll have to play a nice fish. All we could do was pray that we would have the opportunity for redemption.

Sunday morning resulted in more fish on the drift. Here’s Ric with a decent channel cat which was his 3rd fish of the trip.
    [​IMG]

And here’s the redemption fish caught on one of the last drifts of the morning. It sure felt good to get a quality fish inside the boat after braving the elements all night. Persistance paid off.
    [​IMG]

It was a big bellied channel cat and after a couple quick pics was returned to the water to spawn another day. We were off the water by 10am and back to Sacramento by 12:30.

Tight lines

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Randy excellent report and pic's I love to fish clearlake that lake hold's some monster channel's bass and carp:wink: Glad you two did good .

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :crazy:"Nice Channels"!!!
    :worship:"Nice Report Randy, Good Job & Thanks for sharing that report with us all Buddy". :0a31:
    :0a23:
    Hey - I was thinking :0a14:
    What do you think about the nick-name of "Mr. Clear Lake"! (LoL)
    :wink:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

4. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    What bait was working?

5. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Great report man, thank you! We don't get to see cats that big very often here in the valley. Do you think I could drift fish from a float tube??
    Linz

6. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    NOPE. Out in open water the wind would take you too far and you wouldn't be able to get back. The conditions we were drifting in Sunday morning were about as bad as can be. 20+ mph winds required two drift socks behind the boat in order to get us to a barely manageable speed. Even then, I felt we were still drifting too fast for the water temps (67 degrees). To make matters worse, the speed on my GPS unit stopped working this weekend so we had to drift blind in regards to speed.

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    REALLY nice looking fish I would tend to guess there even good eaters.

8. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Thanks for the advise. I'm not promising I will listen:crazy::eek:oooh::tounge_out: cause I'm an idiot sometimes, but I can't say you didn't warn me!! If I end up capsized I'll hit the PFD and drift to shore.....or get ran over by a bass boat!:smile2: I'm just kiddin man. I wouldn't take the risk unless it was calm enough.
    Linz:wink:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like some great fish. Keep us updated on future trips