Clear ice off your car without scraping!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TDawgNOk, Jan 15, 2007.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Learned a new trick for icy windshileds.

Rather then breaking out the ice scrapers and struggling to get 1-2 inches of ice off your windshields, break out the pitchers of water. Yep. Luke warm, room temperature water. DO NOT use the water HOT.

Pour it slowly at the top of your windshield and as it runs down the windshield it will melt the ice for you. It only took me 5 gallons of water to clear the windshield today. 5 gallons and about 6 mins, verses spending 20-30 mins scraping.

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've done this Tony, and it DOES work. But please PLEASE, don't use water that's too hot folks! You won't like the results :eek:oooh:. Hope you're feelin' better TDawg :smile2:.

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Sounds like a great idea, but while you are running back and forth getting water and freezing your butt off I'll just go out a few minutes early and fire it up and use the defroster. I'll just look out the window while staying warm and wait till it's clear. :smile2:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ya, if the water is too hot, you will find out real quick, LOL!!! Your windshield will have thousands of tiny little windshields to look through and, it is hard to focus on just one, LMAO!!! I have seen people do this before (right after I warned them not to), all I could do was shake my head and hold back the tears of laughter!!!

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Jason, he said he had 1" to 2" of ice on his windshield, LOL!!! You would be a while waiting on that much ice to melt off with a defroster, LOL!!!

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I start the car run defroster and plug in hair dryer ,put against ice ,it don't take long for ice to loosen up enough to use scraper .Safer than water.
    And if hands get cold you can warm them with dryer.Had lots of pratice at this over past weekend:roll_eyes:

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The water works great if you use tap water from the COLD side only. No chance of it being too warm then. I also start the car and use the defroster, but a defroster only does so much when you have 1-2 inches of ice.

8. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I bought the "good stuff"I call it washer fluid- I think it was $1.80 a gallon.I poured a lil on the top of the windshield(or where I thought was the top 2inch ice) and scrapped a spot accross the top off the windshield just a little gouge or crack using the corner of the scraper.I poured the washer fluid into the crack in the ice and it ,along with the defroster unstuck the ice from the windshield and was easily removed in large chunks in less 10min.It ran behind the whole ice formation I could hear it all cracking free.Tony I hope we don't have anymore practice at chipping ice.I also use the stuff arround the doors,and trunk works great and you get more bang for the buck than buying the de-icer cans.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We just get that old frost mostly around here.The ice is great as long as I am just reading about it.Thanks for sharing.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I found that if you take a little light oil or WD-40 and put it on the rubber seal around the doors and trunk they won't freeze shut and glass wax on the windshield will let you take the ice off in large sheets with a thin blade.

11. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Also , The night before put you a piece of cardboard under the wipers on the window ,then in the mornig just remove cardboard and drive off .

12. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I just parked my truck in the garage, and I'm not comming out till the ice is gone. LOL... I love this thing called retirement........

13. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Thanks for the info, we use Hot Energy windshield De-Icer. It takes a few seconds to melt the ice. And it want harm the finish on the Vehicle. And yes I crank up the car to warm up with the defroster going too. :big_smile:

14. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Another thing you can use that is very cheap is Rubbing alcohol. I think Walmart sells it for 73 cents for a liter bottle

15. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I used a trash bag after I got the window clean the first time ,I could shake it off and put it in a sack in the car untill I needed it again.When the ice is over I'll use it to clean out my car :lol:

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I used to just throw a cheap tarp over the cab of my truck, next mornin, uncrack the tarp and everything was clear.............