Clear coat or gel coat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Sigmar, May 7, 2008.

1. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Originally I was going to replace the transom on my boat but opted instead to buy another hull. I found a dyna trac thats structurally in good shape however the gel coat (think I got that right) is pretty much shot. I've heard that getting it professionally done is pretty expensive. So I'm looking for other options, maybe automotive clear coat or something else? The floor also needs replacement what about womanized plywood?

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i had my gelcoat done by my wife's uncle who works @ a fiberglass plant on the first bayboat I bought, and wathced him do the whole process... It is not hard at all if you know how to mix the resin & hardener right. Of course he's been doing this for 30 yrs, so he mixed it really hot & it set up in about 30 minutes!!!! And we were gone in about 3 hours... The hardest part was using a grinder to rough up the floor, you have to do the whole thing before you start!!!!

3. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Will did he spray it or can it be rolled and brushed? Thinking probably sprayed on which leaves me looking for something else.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  5. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well talked to a guy at West Marine. He said they carry a brush/roll on gel coat. Said it won't look as good as sprayed but since this is an old boat I'm not as worried about looks as I am protection. Besides I've brushed plenty of varnish in my time and most people think I sprayed it.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Yes it was a brush on, and it looked exactly like a boat does new, to me anyway!! We just put a little sand to make it less slippery!!!