Cleaning

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by billNpam, Sep 20, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    What products have you found works the best for throughly cleaning your smoke pole. I have had a friend tell me to run hot water down the barrel first this will get most of the nasty stuff out.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Bill the hot soapy water down the bore has always been the standard for corrosive propellents, even the old corrosive primer concerns. Still effective. I use TC;s #13 bore solvent, and follow with their "Bore butter". If you are using real black powder the fouling is greater than with Pyrodex, or Triple 7.
    Then I think the solvent alone is enough to do a great job. As I understand it the worse thing you can do to a smoke pole is use a petrolium based product in one. Takes forever to get it cleaned out, even using a de-greaser.
    I just use wet patches till they come out clean, then dry patches, then bore butter.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I use hot water and dish washing soap, the video I got with my ML said to do this. After that I just swab it once or twice with a gun oil soaked patch a time or two till it looks real clean.
    It seems to work great and its pretty cheap which I really like.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just like Gary said. I use TC #13 during the season, then when it's over, it gets a good bath in hot soapy water!!!!!!!!! Come to think of it, by the end of the season, I could use one too!:wink:

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    With the new break open actions soap and water works just fine. I also when thru steal i mean borrow the wifes hair dryer and blow air thru the barrel then I swab her with some lube. The other thing I do is put ramrod in barrel. I dont want something fallen in there or building something in there. Just a safety precaution. I also have that ramrod marked for empty and loaded with scratches. And even before I think of going to feild or going target shooting even though I know for sure its loaded or unloaded I put ramrod down to check!!!

6. trap daddy

trap daddy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Go to a good gun shop and ask for a product called ballistol. They sell it in quart bottles. you mix it with 20% water. Will strip the black powder fouling out very quickly. I use it in all my flintlock guns.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've been cleaning muzzleloaders since 1968 and have found that the easyest way is the cheapest,bathtub,pleanty of hot water,a strong soap and a little work.I have a 45 cal that I've been cleaning that way for over 30 years and I can still ram a patched ball down the tube as easy as I did when it was new.

8. bn2hunt

bn2hunt New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have used CVA barrel blaster for the last 2 years. Squirt a little in the barrel let it sit for 15-30 min swab with around 4 dry patches and then I swab once with an oil soaked patch. Very easy.

9. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    I use barrel blaster from walmart, then 4 patches. If still dirty repeat and oil. I take the barel off and leave it outside while doing this, it's quick and easy and leaves the mess outside.:big_smile: