Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 20, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Okay you smoke polers do you clean after each shot or every 2 or 3 shots? I clean after every shot with the cone sabots due to seating difficulty but with power builts after 2 shots. I tried to see if it affected bullet placement but didnt seem to. What are your thoughts and practices?

Thanks Will

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I wouldn't call it "cleaning", but I swab between shots with a patch saturated in bore butter. I don't know whether it's powder fouling, plastic fouling, or a combination of the two, but it makes loading difficult.

Btw, you can make your own bb patches by placing untreated patches and bb in a dish, microwaving cautiously, and letting them cool.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I spit on a clean patch and run it down the barrel between shots on the range but don't after a shot hunting if I am in a hurry

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I shoot sabots, so swab between shots with wet patch, dry patch, then bore butter. Solvent patches in lil plastic bag, and dry patches loose. Still need the "possibles" bag. They are just smaller now....

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i clean my .44 blackpowder revolver every 10-15 shots. due to the relativly low powder charge it doesnt foul the barrel as quickly.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I usually swab every other shot, though I may try every shot to see if it makes a difference.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Usually after every three shots. I like to shoot in practice like I might have to in the field. I've taken more than one shot while hunting, and didn't have time to clean the bore before the next deer stepped out. In fact, didn't even have time to get the ram rod back in the ferrels. Had to be sneaky just to get the cap on to be undetected, LOL.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Vince makes a good point, but I have to disagree slightly.

Accuracy is all about controlling variables. A clean barrel and a dirty (fouled) barrel don't shoot to the same point of impact, so you gotta choose which condition you want to sight in for. In my case, my first, and I hope only, shot in the field will be from a clean barrel.

Once I'm done tweaking my scope, I absolutely agree...I'll shoot 'till seating the bullet becomes difficult, and try to get a handle on where those second and third shots might go.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You're right Dave. I left out though that I've shot mine at the range enough to know that I can get three shots before the accuracy starts to fall off. All three shots will hit the same place, then after that, they start to wander and I can't get the 4th shot to seat well. I hunt were there are bears, and large cats, so after taking the deer, I like to be loaded as quickly as possible for anything else. Once back at my vehicle or camp, I can unload and swab it out for the next hunt.