cleaning

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by kaleigh, Sep 16, 2006.

1. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    We have been catching som every big turtles up here in Pa.I had turtle soup as a kid and would love some again.My problem is that I do not know how to prepare and cook them.Any help would be appreciated.Either here or PM me

Thanks

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Great question! I've been catching a lot of big turtles this year, too. I've never had turtle soup before, but I would like to try it. Does anyone have a favorite recipe to share?

3. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Don't forget "how to prepare them". I wouldn't even know the best way to start cutting them open, kill them humanely, or which meat is tasty and which (if any) isn't.

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    IMHO the best way its done is relatively simple:
    Cleaning a snapping turtle is actually easier than ya might think. Cut the turtle's head off and hang the turtle upside down overnight to eliminate the blood. The next day nail or otherwise fasten the upside down turtle's tail to a stump so that most of the shell hangs off the stump but is parallel to the stump surface. Cut and remove the plastron or bottom shell and then cut away each leg and the neck from the carapace or shell. Turtle fat is yellow and should be removed from the meat. Turtle meat is best if cooked immediately, but it seems to keep well if frozen in water.
    Another way to clean a turtle in preparation for cooking is to parboil it first. Boiling seems to tenderize the critter and makes it much easier to clean. You cut away the plastron, remove the entrails and then fillet the meat, including the legs and tail, away from the top shell. The skin, should peel off easily after parboiling. The meat, after rinsing and cleaning in water, is ready for whatever recipe you prefer.
    A few could ways to cook it is stir-fried with bacon, add it in a nicely seasoned stew, (take the film off the top when it boils) or make it in yer gumbo

good luck to ya fellas

5. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Thanks riverrat and Irish. Now I just gotta catch one. I hooked into one that was about 3 feet long awhile back. I was bank fishing and the only way to get him aground woulda been to go knee deep it the water and drag him out. It was a stalemate at the shoreline for about 5 minutes (he buried his front legs in the bank and thrashed like heck while I tugged and tried not to break the line). I didn't know what I was going to do with him if I ever got him ashore so I was glad when he finally broke off!

6. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I have heard there are 7 different kinds of meat in a turtle....please someone explain this to me!