cleaning your spinner reel

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Noodlejug, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    I thought I might boil a few reels in soapy water. Well don't try it the plastic coudn't take the heat. Turned around twice and they were all warped. :eek: Live and learn you never graduate from the school of hard nocks.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Well,at least you didn't throw them in the microwave :rolleyes:

3. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    On most spinning reels the spool is removed by pressing a button to release it or unscrew the drag knob on the front. Remove the handle by unscrewing the cap on the opposite side or for other models just hold the spool and turn the handle the opposite of reeling in. Then remove the cover screws and be very careful when removing the cover due to springs, gears and washers falling out. When removing the main drive gear watch for the little metal tang on the gear side, this tang fits in the slot of the anti-reverse mechanism. (most models) You may remove the main shaft by removing either a clip that is screwed in or just snapped in. This is as far as you should go to lubricate and clean your spinning reel. I prefer to use my own mix of lubricant, ( vaseline and hydraulic fluid mixed well). Wipe clean all parts or if it is real bad I prefer to use Simple Green mix or Greased Lightning mix. Reverse this procedure for re-assembly

4. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    How to clean & lubricate your baitcastor reel?

Take your time and watch closely when disassembling your reel. I know this sounds a little nit-picky but most baitcastor reels have quite a few small washers, screws and springs. On most baitcastors such as Abu you need to start by removing 1. handle 2. thin separator washer 3. drag star, after you remove the drag star watch for the flat and flex washers to possibly fall out. Next take out the two screws more towards the center of the reel. Then remove the three remaining bigger screws around the outside edge. This will allow the outside cover to be removed but it will also loosen the separator plate. Watch for the springs and the main drag shaft not to come off. From there you may remove the separator plate and remove the spool. Switch to the Idler side of the reel and remove all screws holding on the cover. Remove the cap over the line guide pawl next, then remove the clip that holds the line guide assembly in. This is as far as you should take your reel down to clean and lubricate. I prefer to use my own mix of lubricant, ( vaseline and hydraulic fluid mixed well). Wipe clean all parts or if it is real bad I prefer to use Simple Green mix or Greased Lightning mix. Reverse this procedure for re-assembly.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    On my spinning reels I clena them with wd-40, works for me. As for lubricaing last time i tried lithium grease. I usualy use a moly grease tha i get from work.