Cleaning up the areas we fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by uapipefitter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Ha, brother catters, last night while I was fishing, I looked around where I was fishing and it made me discusted. Everywhere I looked was trash littering the bank. You name it, cans, hook wrappers, fishin' line, styrofoam, and plastic pop bottles. For a while last night, I scoffed at the guys prior to me. Leaving all that stuff lying around, but then I thought, I would be the guy to pick it up before I left and leave it better than I found it. I felt ten times better for pick'in up an area I love to fish than all the fish I caught that night. I think it is easy to get pissed off at Joe who leaves all his trash behind, but it has to start with someone and why not us? If no more than one piece everytime you go or the whole area lets bleave it better than we found it. For us and our kids and the fish we seek.:smile2:

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Right on, Trent.
    Have you ever heard of "The Broken Window Theory"?
    It says that if a building has a broken window and nobody fixes it, then soon more windows will get broken. If it gets fixed, though, windows are less likely to get broken in the future.
    Likewise, if an area is all littered up, odds are that folks will keep dumping their trash there. But if we take the initiative and pick things up, people will be less likely to add new trash.
    Of course, some low-lifes will keep being slobs, but hopefully at least some will catch on and "clean up" their act.
    Keep on doing the right thing and you'll never be sorry.
    Tony

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I bank fish and I leave the area better than I found it.:wink:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Only cause we burn everything.....:tounge_out::wink::smile2:

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Got some very public and easy to get to (easy to get to seems to attract the slobs) that can get nasty. I have to pick up before I fish, can't stand to fish in a dump.

I have to admit to not being the most "environmental" about it though, I first burn all that will burn, then bag and carry out the rest. If you don't burn the aluminum, you can make a buck or two also.:big_smile:

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    heck in Michigan you get 10 cents a pop can!

7. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I could pick up trash every time I go fishing, but after a point I have to let it go, I am not the trash police. I didn't go there to be responsible to clean up after every other slob that came before, and I try not to let it get under my skin. I do my part, clean up diligently after myself, and clean the area that I am fishing, but where I fish (a Michigan State Park), its a battle I am not going to win. I applaud your effort to make the place better than you found it. If the problem really is going to be fixed though, people have to change their attitudes, including the state DNR who removed all the trash cans from the State Parks because of a short budget. If I am the only one in the area who cares, I am trash picking instead of fishing.

8. ROYDOG

ROYDOG New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    if when we go fishing we could just pick up a little it would help......

9. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    I am guilty from time to time of forgetting some trash here and there but i always take one day a month to go clean up where i fish.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Most SLOB"S live that way at home because that was the way they were tought was to be a BIG SLOB

11. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I think most of the people who litter are regular guys like you and me, they just don't even think about it. Where I fish there is a bench and picnic table, usually I am at the picnic table and I have cleaned that area up. Last week I was down by the bench fishing for some bluegills that were bedding near there and another guy came along. I'd seen him there before, just a normal looking guy. I was about to leave anyway so I gave him the spot. I came back later that day to fish by the picnic table for catfish, and low and behold, the guy had left a present behind at the bench of his trash, worm container and snelled hook packaging. Not much trash, but a little here and there and it accumulates. I don't think anyone had been there between me and him, there wasn't enough time. That night some people came to fish by the bench and they were smoking. The next morning I found cigarette packages and butts thrown into the woods behind the bench. These people looked like normal people, not distinguishable as litterers or anyone to look down upon. The attitude of conservation just isn't there with regular joes. I pick up the trash and go on my way, but I don't think I will ever be happy with the way I find the place. Makes me want to post some signs.

12. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    They come in all shapes and sizes without a doubt but to I think upbringing has alot to do with it also. My dad made me and my brother police a campsite when we were done camping,...fishing,...working with his tools,...and in our house. Then they taught us in boy scouts the same thing. It seems like once you are aware of this, any time you see trash outside of where it belongs it calls out your name and suddenly it becomes a distraction till its put away. Now I have seen this with my brother also so I attribute alot of this to my dad and how he raised me and my brother. So myself and others I see on here, have been teaching our kids the same thing and hopefully we can make up for the gap and maybe one day it will catch on and it will be automatic for them just take out whatever they bring in.

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Charles Harding (~1960), everyone should at least learn about this (google it). Most applies to the mentality that every little bit plays a role. Good or bad. I camp all the time and 9 out of 10 times I leave the site cleaner than I found it. I hauled an entire trash bag out last weekend. To me it is crazy and really quite sad. Every little bit helps. That’s the way I think of it.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    This is where I fish mostly. If someone is littering I take a picture and walk back to my spot and grab my phone and look at them while Im pretending to call someone. 9 out of 10 times theyll usually start picking up there trash, especially if its beer. The catfishermen arent so bad, the trout fishermen are pig pens. And yes I pick it up even if its not mine.

Attached Files:

15. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I have posted a thread on this very subject before. My local hangout seems to attract the worst of folks. I can relate to the bs that folks leave behind, just ask wishbone, he knows where I'm talking about. People would leave a dead body behind if it were'nt for so many eyes around....lol!

16. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i always try to make the fishing areas i visit nicer. out in the country is bad from some of the old farmers. large rolls of fence lying in the water along with larger creeks completly fenced across with trash bags all caught on the barb wire. it only takes a second or two so why not?