Cleaning up Abu's and removing grease?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Gatesy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Gatesy

Gatesy New Member

State:
    Czech Republic
    Hi guys

First post, so please be nice

I have never fished for catfish before but having just moved to the Czech Republic from Australia with the new wife it appears my fishing options are either catfish or carp. So it seems catfish are now my target. :big_smile:

I have a couple of old abu's that i am trying to refurbish to use for my fishing over here but i have found them to be PACKED with grease from previous services. This is the first time i have pulled them apart because i have always been scared to lose parts.

I have been pulling the reels apart and scrubing them with an old toothbrush and water with hand dishwashing detergent but the grease in one of the reels has the consistency of hair wax (it is damn near solid) and the brush seems to only be smeering it around rather then removing it. Is there a product that will break down the reel grease and not eat away the metal or any of the plastic components that are attached to the gear plate? If so do you have the chemical name as the product labels over here have some really weird spelling so i doubt i will find the exact product.

The reels i am working on are :
    1. Abu 2500CI (bought new in 1993)
    2. Abu 5000C (foot number 730502)
    3. Abu 5000C (new but yet to arrive)

I was also looking to install some new bearings in all the reels as well.

I have added some piccies of the reels and 2 of the grease in one of the reels

cheers

Gatesy

Attached Files:

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Welcome to the BOC ,I use brake cleaner to brake down the grease but I dont know if it hurts the metal.....Mine seem to be fine though.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Carb cleaner will get the job done, and for years I've just used gasoline to clean parts, although there are prolly a gazillion reasons why that's a bad idea. Someone will set me straight.:smile2:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The best de-greaser in a dish detergent is DAWN, plus I use the hottest water I can. But if you still need something, the gasoline will do the trick. Just be sure to wash the cleaned parts with the DAWN afterwards or the gasoline residue will destroy your new grease and oil.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael Welcome to the BOC, fom So. Illinois. I have used WD-40 before for cleaning out heavy grease and it did a good job and will not hurt the plastic.r

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC be careful with carb or brake cleaner it will clean the grease but if any parts are painted it can possibly remove paint also i have to agree with mickey WD 40 is great

7. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC. Another suggestion is soak the parts in mineral spirits, it should remove most of the grease.

8. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I use mineral spirits and a toothbrush. Soak part for a while, brush them down, rinse with hot water, then let them completely air dry.

Joe

9. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    All is good advice.

Lightly grease the gears, oil the bearings.

10. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Welcome aboard,Just another that believes ya can't go wrong with WD-40, cleans and lubricates with a good spray, all I use on all my tackle......:cool2:

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    starting fluid works good and evaporates fast

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Mick you took the words right outa my mouth lol yea what mick said and welcome to the best place on the net the BOC/SOC we are all FAMILY hear:cool2: