Cleaning the bottom of the boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tntitans21399, Dec 14, 2007.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used my boat a lot this past year, but I was either to busy to clean the bottom of the boat or choose to take the boat out instead of staying home and cleaning it. So now it has a brown ring where the boat was in the water for long periods of time (hours on the lake).

What has been the best product or home cleaning solutions that helps you clean the bottom of your boat.

Attached Files:

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Why clean it? Are you giving up fishing?
    It's just going to get dirty again. Not only that it adds character.:smile2:

Sorry I know I'm no help. My boat is painted down to below the water line and it cleans up real easy. Everything below that is stained just like yours.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Chris,
    I have tried everything i know of to keep my tracker clean. Looks about like your picture. I have tried all the house hold cleaners I can think of. Tried some mild acid for aluminum boat hull cleaning. I was told there was something used on aluminum trailers that truckers used that worked good. Don't know a name of the product but i was told you could get it a detail or wash shops for big trucks. Just haven't thought about it when i was close by such a place or haven't had time when I did think of it.
    I have used scotch bright pads and then aluminum polish to make mine like a shiny new nickel. That lasted all of one trip, two at most and it was back to the nasty brown ring. I have decided the next time i clean it up that well. it will be just before the new owner comes to see if he wants to take it home with him. The shine job I laid on that baby did not help me catch any more fish.:sad2::smile2: I worked for several days polishing it up all nice for the fish to look at.:smile2:
    If you find something that works well and doesn't take all weekend to do. I would love to give it a try.:cool2:

Thanks
    David

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Go to the local waly world and look in the rv section for black streak remover, might help.

5. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Try Go Jo hand cleaner and a scotch brite pad.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    For aluminum Duragloss markets an acid cleaner that will take it off.
    I used 2 gallons of it on the pontoons.

Its the same stuff sold at truckstops for truckers. Just a different package.
    I got mine at NAPA for about 10 bucks a gallon.

I put it in a pump bottle and just spray it on.
    Let it sit for a few minutes and hit it with a tire brush and rinse.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i use 409 orange power on my tracker. seems to work real good. use a scotch guard pad sponge with water and takes it all off my tracker. otherwise, just regular dish soap and lots of elbow power. :wink:
    gary

8. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah Dave, I'm not selling boat for a very long time, the boat will have to start rotting before I sell it. Just try to keep it looking good.

9. Equinox

Equinox New Member

State:
    Sweden
  10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    It looks like fiberglass, try dow bathroom cleaner, or another fiberglass bathtub cleaner, with a scothbrite pad, or scrubbing bubbles.

11. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    "Mean Green-Super Strength" !
    Hands down !

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The mean green cleaner is a good idea. but, i would'nt use anything abrasive. i seen someone mentioned a scotchbrite pad. you might as well use sandpaper. i usually use 409, or mean green. use a polish, then a wax to finish it up. i use automotive products but, a lot of people say marine products last much longer.

13. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ive used purple power on my boat and it cleans up real good you can get it at a fleamarket for about $4.00 a gallon i use it on the tires on my truck and the wifes car,its a good cleaner and cheap..

14. Equinox

Equinox New Member

State:
    Sweden
    Oxalic Acid is the most effective pure chemical you can use as a gelcoatcleaner. Dip a moist piece of fabric in the Oxalic Acid powder and rub it in. Let it work for 10-15 minutes and voila´ the gelcoat is white again.
    Use protective gloves and something to protect your eyes.

15. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    hey Chris
    welcome to the BOC. I've had the same ring on my boat and motor . my wife had the best stuff to clean it off with . Lime away cleaner and scotch brite , no scratch scrub sponge . she used them to clean the fiberglass shower and glass door . spray it on scrub a little bit with the sponge hose it off . no harsh chemical's or acids , and you can get them at any store for less than five bucks , or you can do like I did and get them out from under the sink and never take'em back ! don't let her find them in the garage and she'll keep you a supply of it .HAHA:wink:
    vince

16. Puddin Head

Puddin Head New Member

State:
    Grenada Lake, Ms
    I also have a tracker, and the same brown ring around it. I tryed WD 40 and it takes it off, you have to scrub a little bit.
    I haven't had it back in the water yet, so I can't say it stays off.
    Good Luck................Puddin Head

17. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Gary,
    Welcome to the BOC.

18. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We have had many boats at my house and we have some nasty lakes around the city up here in indianapolis. Sometimes we dock our ski boat out on geist lake witch is full of algea and skum. The way we have learned to clean our boats out the best is to take everything out and take a power washer to every corner of the inside and bottom of the boat and it will make it look like new agian. :wink:

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My pontoon boat was in the water for a continuous 10 years. Sometimes, once a year I would take it in shallow water, get out, go over the toons with a nylon windshield bug pad. Still looks pretty good 13 years later.

Gary, WELCOME to BOC!