cleaning squirrels

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by flatheadslayer, Dec 14, 2009.

1. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i've been cleaning squirrels all my life,and the only problem i have is after i skin them they are covered in hair,i even wet them first,and that helps,but they still get hair on them.that hair is hard to get off,is they're a trick to getting the hair off the meat?

thanx

2. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    The only cure for that is not getting the hair on there in the first place.
    There are a couple of techniques for skinning them without touching the meat. I'm not good at either of them. :smile2:

My grandpa sure could, though.

3. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I use the thin green pan scrubbers you get at the grocery store. They come in 6x9.5 inch size and you can cut them into smaller pieces. Just rub them over the skinned squirrel and they will remove all the hair. Catfishjon

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I might help to wet the fur down first.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  6. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    This isn't a perfect fix, but it works real good with skinning any critter, whether it has feathers or fur. Always cut the skin against the way the hair or feathers is laying. It will definitely cut down on the amount of hair and feathers all over everything. Hope this helps!

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Never grab the cut edges when pulling. Don't try and skin without the critter stabilized by someone else or hung. Once you get that squirrel skinning down pat, come up and teach me how to skin a sheep without contaminating the meat with wool. Yuk that lanolin taste sucks.

8. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yep,we got a lot of fox squirrels around here,all different colors.

9. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy:when i saw the title of this thread i thought at last some one is going to explain how not to get the fur on the meat:big_smile: L.O.L. WELL here is how to do it .get someone else to clean them. then you can point out all the fur and act discussed .then use a small propane torch to singe the hair off.:big_smile:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have only skinned one squirell in my life,Had very few hairs on it when done,I hung it by both hind feet from a cord,and case skinned like you would a racoon,worked great,not much for time tho ,It took longer than expected,But I had a clean carcass.

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    This may not be the"correct " way, but it has always worked for me.make a cut thru the tail bone from bottom to top, but not all the way thru the tail. then make a cut thru the skin from tail down each back leg. Clip off all 4 feet. OK, now lay squirell on the ground "belly up". step on tail, Take one hind leg in each hand and pull. If done right the skinn will pull right off. You will have one small patch of skin on rear of squirell. I use a pair plires to grab hold of this and pull it off while holding the squirell by the skin that has already been pulled over its head. Now cut the head off and you are ready to go. Should not be any hair at all left on the meat and it shouldn't take over a minute. This is the way I have cleaned squirell all my life and I rarely find a hair on the meat.
    One last step. Cook them for breakfast with gravy and cathead biscuits and call me over for breakfast.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I cleaned tree rats a few times. My girlfriend's mama would fight you over the squirrel's tongue and brains! I never tried them. When skinned out they look like a small human being. :eek:oooh:

Bill in SC

13. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    Thanks Preston. I thought I was the only one that had that problem.:tounge_out:

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I skin mine like John said but i wait to knock it's feet off until i get them skinned. Also soak them in water before i start.

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've done it about the same way. :wink:

16. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There was a rig sold at one time for skinning squirrels. You may google and find it.

17. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hang by head with a lil trot line cord. Then cut all the way around the center area I use a gut hook blade, loosen skin clip a pair of vise grips on the loosend back flap let em hang work skin loose all the way around half inch down. Then grab belly skin flap with a pair of fish skinners just pull down with the vise grips and fish skinners like peelen a sock. Get down to the tail cut the tail loose then pull the hide down to the feet and off. Wash hands and dry take the squirrle off the head loop of trotline cord flip aroud and loop up one back leg @ the knee. Same as above loosen hide and clamp the visegrips on the back skin let it hang work the hide loose all the way around grab belly flap with fish skinners pull the hide off the head and front legs I cut off head clip front feet off. Wash hands again dry take the backleg out of the loop clip off back claws. Takes about 4 min when ya get the hang of it works great for rabbits to. Almost no hair on meat cause the vise grips keeps the hide peeled back from it so it dont curl back onto the meat. Using a gut hook gets the blade under the skin and results in almost no cut hair. Sorry to take up a page I used to skin em by the tail method till a ol river rat taught me how to do it this way.

18. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    would you make a video:wink:

19. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    propane tourch is all i can thing of:confused2::confused2:

20. Welder

Welder New Member