Cleaning solvents

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by bootshowl, Oct 30, 2006.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm still using the old Hoppes#9 solvent. I ain't complaining, like the smell, like Old Spice there's a comfort there. Swabin out my smoothbore today after yesterdays turkey shoot....what else you guys using? Some new stuff that's better?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea me too but I tried out Hoppes in the pump bottle a little more expensive but man this stuff cuts crud super fast ,got mine at wal-mart

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just use whatevers on sale or in the cleaning kits. Hoppes is pretty good if you ask me.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What is a good solvent for plastic? I am an outfitter in South America. My guests shoot anywhere from 500 to 2000 rounds a day at doves and pigeons. The barrels get so hot that the plastic starts to melt in the chambers. I have never had a chamber problem with semi autos but with over and unders in 20 gauge specifically it is a huge problem. They chambers get so tight with plastic build-up that the ejectors can't work and you have to pry out the spent shells. We clean the clients guns twice a day. The chambers get a good brushing with short stainless steel chamber brushes. I have been using break free and gun scrubber followed by a little rem oil. But need something better for plastic build-up specifically. I think half the problem is the Shells I buy. I can't buy Federal, Winchester, or Remington. We use Armusa shells from Spain. They are fantastic shells as far as clean burning powder, hard lead shot, fast velocity, and consistant patterns. My only issue is the plastic build-up. Since the twin towers 9/11 incident, I can't carry any aerosol cans in my luggage when I go down to Paraguay each spring. Anything I take will have to be non flamable and in liquid form. HElP.................

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kenneth Im not sure if it'll work on the plastic but try the new Hoppes Elite gun cleaner Ive been using it for a while and it cuts buildup faster than anything ive used before and its in a non aresol pump bottle

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you very much on the hoppes recommendation. Its been awhile but way back when I hunted in your fine state. Chased blue quail all over the place and even managed to bag a few. I was living in Missouri at the time and went to your New Mexico in search of desert quail. It took awhile for my poor dogs to figure those rascals out. Me too, although the dogs got smart a whole lot faster than me.:big_smile:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah them buggers are hell to hunt they'll run a poor dog to death not to mention a hunter its just as bad when bobs covey with them they act just like the blues

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Ken, I wonder if acetone would work on the plastic build up? I know back in the day fellas in unconventional work situations for Uncle used to use the heck out of the momma russia AK47's and the confiscated ammo was the laquer coated steel case, get a real build up in the chamber, even a chromed one, and they used acetone to clean it out as nothing else seemed to do it. Just wondering? Don't know. Acetone is cheap.