Cleaning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jul 11, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how often shold u take the reel apart, im afraid i wont do it right and ruin my reel , do u have to take baitcasters apart

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It depends on how much the reel is fished with on how often you take them apart. The ones I fish with often, I'll take apart a couple times a season and give a good cleaning. The ones that are just used once in awhile, I'll take apart and clean at the end of the season.

The most important part of maintinance is making sure they stay lubed. Always lube the worm gear at the beginning of each trip on baitcasters. Also lube the spool bearings/bushings now and then also so they don't get dry. (Exception is the ceramic bearings that don't need lube).

If you don't know how to take a baitcaster apart to clean, take it to someone that does, or if you're a do-it-yourselfer, there's a section in the library on this site that shows you how to do it. The abus are the easiest, especially the newer models. They seem to be "modular" built and come off in groups of parts that are easy to get back together in reverse order.

Give the library a try, there's alot of great information in it, and good luck.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Do you happen to know the approx.year and models the "modular" build bait casters started showing up in.I am doing my best to learn all that I can about all of the Abu Garcia bait casters.Thanks for the help you give everyone on here.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive got a pro rocket and the red 6000 ,i havent lubed them yet because i dont know what to use

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Pee Wee, from all the ones I've worked on, it seems like when they went to the ultra cast design, seems like each section was just different units installed together to make the reel. You've got the gear assembley, brake plate assembly, spool assembly, levelwind assembly, then just attatch each assembly to the frame, cover with end covers, install the drag star and handle, and you're fishing.

As far as lube goes, I've started using the rocket fuels, red for 7000 and up, and yellow for 6500 and down. The yellow is thinner and you need to lube a little more often. The rocket fuels do seem to make them cast farther and reel smoother, but cost a little more.

I know alot of guys that like to use the quantum hot sauce and swear by it also. I'd stay away from the wd-40 though. It's a water base that evaporates quickly. It's actually made for freeing up tight bolds and stuff and not for general lubrication. I've learned this on firearms as it will actually cause them to rust if left on them for storage. I used 3 in 1 oil for years and never had a problem with it, it's just a thicker oil that gets REALLY thick when it gets cold.

One I haven't tried yet is Remington gun oil that you can get at Wal Mart for pretty cheap. It's yellow like the rocket fuel, and seems to be about the same viscocity as the yellow rocket fuel. I was thinking about trying it on one of my reels to see. Sure would be an inexpensive solution.

If you try it out before I get to, let me know..........Vince

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    This is a good thread because I have no clue on taking apart baitcasters. The last time I took a spinner apart I ended up with no drag. It was locked solid. I just started lossening the screws and pumping reel oil in. Seems to have worked fine on mine. Got a large spinner thats been filled up with saltwater many times and still runs smooth. All the screws are rusted out but works good for me. As for my large conventional reels breaking them down I haven't done. A little scared on screwing those up. So And info on maintaining a saltwater coventional trolling reel please chime in.

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Take a look in the library. There are a few tutorials on how to take reels apart and clean them. Many other things in there as well.

Click here.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Ive been using the same little squeese bottle of rem oil with teflon lubricant for a long time and still got a third left the little straw helps squirt a little in the levelwind when needed it works, id say every two months a try to give um a squirt.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i to took apart a spinner i lost the anti reverse:embarassed: but imo the baitcasters are eiser:surrender:

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    All I can is say careful. I have taking spinning reels apart before. Those springs are a pain in the rear to get back in. :angry:.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You didn't mention how the Remoil does as far as the other lubricants. How does it do? I've noticed that it's a really thin oil and when using it on firearms, you have to use it a little more often than other gun lubes. Is it about the same as on the reels too?

Thanks for already thinking of it and giving it a try

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    cant say i got mutch to compair it to ive been using the same 1oz bottle for at least 5 years so i dont have mutch to compair to must be alright to last that long, shure i probally should have used it a little more but thats my falt not the oils. i bought the airasol can for my guns about the same time as i bought the bottle for the reels and bouth are around half full.

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Much reel trouble is over lube.If your reel is lasting,you may be doing it "Just Right"! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Has anyone ever tried the dry lubes such as "Molly,Teflon and Graphite" on the exposed level wind mechanism?I I tried the old "Spray Molly" on my kids Go-Kart sprockets and chains in the 70's.I soaked and washed the lube off of the new ones in gasoline and then used the dry lube.They lasted way longer.I figured up the cost of everything both ways,and cut my cost just a little over half.Also.For years I have used the Abu Garcia Reel Lube that has Teflon in it on my gears,bushings and sliding surfaces in my reels of all types most of the time.I have a little of the old time "Arctic Weapons Oil" that you WW 2 and Korea vets are familiar with that I picked up at a Military surplus store way up north a long time ago.It works great in the really cold weather for Guns and Reels.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Well if anyone knows how to break down a tekota 800 with breaking it let me know. Its got 4 bolts on each side but I fear that something will come flying out if I go in blind

16. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Not sure how well graphite would work in a wet enviroment. Seems like it may clump up on ya. Just an opinion though:wink:

17. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t know either.I do know that they have sold it in little tubes to squirt into car door locks for 50+ years to keep them lubed and they use to claim(I ain;t looked lately)that it helped keep them from freezing in the winter.I got to remember to look.I have some somewhere.OK,they are still making the claim.Thanks.I love you Brothers And Sisters.peewee.

18. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I did not know that. Might have to give it a try on one of my smaller rigs and post on it. Matter of fact got a trip comming up next weeken that I could try it out on. Got a reel I never use so I'll clean all the oil out, filler up with graphite and see what happens. Been meaning to get some for the front door anyways since you have to fight to get your keys out after unlocking it:big_smile: