Cleaning out cats in tanks

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by MVFB52, Feb 3, 2008.

1. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I was wondering if any of your clean out your cats in cleaner tanks and if so for how long? I know flatheads probably wouldn't need the cleaning as much, but would this help for channels or carp?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC Brother!!!

That would depend on if you are wanting to clean the muddy taste out or the toxins in them out!
    The toxins cannot be removed with any kind of method, it is a waste of time.
    The muddy taste can but it depends on how muddy tasting they are from the beginning.

3. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    Thanks, I fish in a fairly large river so toxins usually aren't my biggest worry, but the muddy taste can get pretty bad especially in late summer. Thanks again dreadnaught

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I larger rivers, TOXINS should be your main concern, unless of course, you like glowing in the dark, LMAO!!!

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya toxins can get bad in large rivers. and john is right, no cleaning at all helps. they go into the flesh you eat. i never clean anything out. i just feel is not worth the mess. you dont eat the guts and most cleaning does is empty intestines.

there is a post on here where a fella says soaking in a vinegar water solution overnight helps remove mud taste.

i just clean when i get home and soak in heavy salt water overnight and freeze. mine have all tasted fine.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You can also spread a thin layer of yellow mustard on the fillets right before you batter them, to get the muddy taste out. You will never taste the mustard as long as you put it on thin.

7. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    So I suppose that would mean that toxins would be equally present in flats and channels even though flats generally stick to live prey? Thanks for the suggestions too.

8. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I should have said that large river does not have many large towns or cities near or upriver or me... probably plenty of farm runoff though!

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Josh,I have found that hanging a cat and cutting the tail off while skinning will get nearly all the blood out of them,and reduce the amount of 'red meat ' that has the muddy taste. The toxins continually build in a fishes system over a period of time ,like heavy metal contamination. they never leave ,just keep building. I know a few folks that wont ever eat the belly meat of any cat just because of this. I
    think I'll just take my chances . As if I'm gonna kill anything I will eat every thing I can from it ,I feel I owe the critter that much,course I aint eating varmints.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Josh, Welcome the BOC.

11. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Just cut the red meat out, and if you plan on frying all your fish, you will never tast the difference in the meat, whether it is a large fish or not, I wouldnt waste your time trying to "clean" your fish out, and I agrea with cutting the tails off and letting them bleed out, that helps.

12. mixrdrivr113

mixrdrivr113 New Member

State:
    Bay, Mo
    as 223reload said i hang all my channel cat and slic the tail off there is a main blood vessel run into the tail area i cut the tail and let them hang that way for 5 mins or so till all the blood runs out,this is the one sure way to kill them to seems no matter what u do u cant kill them but this dose the trick,also i met a guy a few yrs ago who sold bait and he had a stainless stell swiming pool in the back and i noticed once he had some channels in it he had got off a trout line,while looking at them i noticed a bleach smell so i ask him about that and he said he puts them in the tank and puts a little bleach in it and it cause them to spit up any muck they have swallowed and clean out there system before he cleans them not sure if it works or not but just a thought

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Bleedin is the best way to make one taste better. I also like to coat mine in Louisiana hot sauce, then meal, then deep fry, then EAT. Dang now I'm hungry.:wink:

14. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    That definitely works. Goes for other fish too.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont get the cleaning out thing at all. never have. they poop. so what. you dont eat the guts. never made since to me. who tranqulizes deer to let them clean out? lol

and flatheads can be as much or more toxic. the live pray you speak of. they have toxins in them too. more flats eat more toxins build.

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Let's face it....The smaller (or younger) the fish is, the less mercury and lead it will have in it's system. And it won't taste quite as muddy either. I never keep fish in the warmer months because they just don't taste as good.

17. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    Thanks for all of your advice folks. I have always hung the bigger (10-15 lbs is about as big as I will eat!) ones up on the telephone poles outside my house to clean them. If it is nailed to the post it is easy to clean and I like the look of bleached flatheads on the poles, although they do stink for a few days... I usually cut off the tail after I killed it, but I guess it would probably make more sense to cut the tail off to kill the fish. I will also give the mustard a try as well on top of the regular salt bath.

Thanks again,
    JR