Cleaning Old Tools & Knives

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Mar 7, 2006.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I have several old Planes and Knives with different metals and finishings. Japanning is were I have the most question. whats a safe solvent or oil to clean it up, with out damaging the finish? Old knife Blades Are also a big question. What do you use?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    When cleaning old steel such as knives, I use WD-40. I spray it on the knife blade and let it soak for 30 mins or more. Then I use a buffing wheel on it. If it has a LOT of rust on it, I may use my wifes "scum buster" with a green scotch brite pad on it to clean the rust off and THEN use the buffer.

For copper, such as pennies, take a scoop of mayonasie and let the copper sit in it over night, then buff, cleans right up and looks like new.

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for the suggestions. Any Ideas for cleaning tools with Japanning such as Old Wood Planes?

4. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Seems there is some big secret about japanning on metals. I've been just wiping them down with veg. oil and Blowing off excess and debris with air from my compressor. Right or wrong, its not hurting them at all, and make them look pretty nice. WD40 will break down japanning just like paint thinner.
    I use allot of WD40 on most other metals. Just soak them down and let them sit for a few hours to a couple days. Does them allot of good.
    Now with Very old coins I've heard soaking them in olive oil does pretty well and is the least likely way of cleaning with out causing any damage. I have a small handful of what I believe to be Roman coins. There soaking right now, and will keep you posted on how its working. These coins are so old and abused that they are breaking down. Not rusting but the metals are actually breaking down to there basic chemicals.