Cleaning off the river scum?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by rks1949, Sep 1, 2009.

1. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been trying to keep my new motor from turning "light brown",but I can't seem to find anything that really cleans of the film(scum) well that is left on it from the river:confused2:. What do you guy's use? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Ron

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've tried everything known to man, except abrasives which I would NOT recommend. It won't come off. I just chalk it up to gining character to the boat. If you find something that works, do post it up. I figured bleach and or ammonia would move it, but no cigar.

Bill in SC

3. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've had pretty good luck with a product called Greased Lightning and a scrub brush .... It's a lye/alkaline based cleaner (As opposed to an acid based cleaner like the orange products) and works better on things that an acid based cleaner won't touch. It's also an excellent cleaner for plastic cases like computers, printers, TV's etc .. In fact I just cleaner my motor off with it tonight

It's as close as I could find to a product I use at work to clean refrigeration/air conditioning coils. The alkaline based cleaner works better for things like cottonwood seeds which are death to an AC system if you have some in your neighborhood and tough to get out of coils because they get snotty and cling when wet. If it's normal dirt and grease I use an acid based cleaner which really shines up the aluminum coils

Sometimes the river scum will permanently discolor the paint if it's been on there for years and there's not much you can do about that except maybe use a rubbing compound, not something you'd want to do a lot

I also like to hit it with some silicon spray which helps keep the river scum from clinging to the motor in the short term and makes any that does easier to clean off (A wax would probably do the same but it's hard to beat spray and wipe)

4. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks,guy's! I ran across a guy the other day,and his motor looked almost "new"! He said to take (are you ready for this)---WD40,and squirt some on a rage,after you get it cleaned up. He said it will act as a barrier,(as you said above) and keep the scum from sticking to the motor. He also said Kano Kroil will work also,and actually soften the deposits on the lower section of the motor. I'll give it a try this week end. Ron

5. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Simple Green, I believe is the name of the product is excellent and will not damage paint, every now and then I will spray the motor bracket and motor and use a pressure washer to clean works like a champ.

6. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks,for the tip!:big_smile: I'll give it a try! Ron

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When I was a youngin my Mother was an absolute fanatic about this.

No matter how long we had been out, or the weather, time of day, how tired,, The boat was cleaned as soon as it came out of the water.
    Not at home,, at the ramp.

As you can imagine,, this really sucked,, especially for the kids, but,,, It did wonders for keeping the river scum stain to a minimum on the white hull.

It helps to keep the boat waxed real well too.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    There is a product called clr or crl that is usually in the bathroom cleaning section, it stands for calcium lime rust (clr) remover, this takes the crud off. The crud is hard water deposits and this stuff is specifically made to remove them. it works well and easy(not to much scrubbing). I do it at home as I wouldn't want any chemicals to get into the water,then power wash before heading back to the water. We have used it for quite some time,and it works great. We soaked a friends boat that was kept in the water at a dock for a couple years with it,it had 1/4 inch thick nasty deposits,waited a little while and powerwashed it,looked almost new and scum was gone.
    You will want to wax or use some kind of protectant afterwards as this stuff will take all that off too.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  9. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    LIME AWAY tub and shower cleaner, less than 2 bucks works great !! then some of that spray wax , wipe it on wipe it off , then dry my motor off when it comes out of the river .

10. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    here,s a picture of my motor and the stuff I use to clean it

Attached Files: