Cleaning Lifejackets?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by TNBigCat, Aug 27, 2006.

1. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    Does anyone know how to clean Lifejackets and get the lake/river smell out of them? I go to the lake and usually will swim before, during, and/or after fishing to cool off. When I get home I put my jackets out to dry and let them air dry outside. But now they are starting to get that mildew and moldy smell to them. The jackets are brand new and pretty expensive and I'd like to keep them in tip top shape as long as I can. Any help or advice? TNBIGCAT

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I've washed mine in the washing machine before plenty of times.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've used 'Febreeze' before with good success, for odors, but washing them in the machine shouldn't hurt anything, either, for a good cleaning.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How about getting some old ones t swim in... or use the ones you have for swimming and getting new ones just for fishing. LOL

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Mine is an inflatable, can't wash it. Any good ways to surface clean it?

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    IF you can find it anymore, CLEAR MAGIC, works wonders on stuff like this, in the washer or just spray on and rinse with the water hose. It works best in COLD water, too.

It takes care of 99.9% of hard to remove items, such as grease, blood, mildew, etc. and has a fresh smell.

The last time I found it was in a close out store.....or in the automotive section of some drug stores such as Walgreens. I bought up every bottle they had at Big Lots a few years back and still have a couple left.

I don't know why this stuff never took off, or maybe it did, and it was so good, they figured they were losing sales on other items?

Hope this helps.

FeBreeze is a good idea too, but won't remove the greenish color.

Take care.
    Cheryl

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    We keep a clean rubber garbage can to clean ours. Fill it hallf full of water and add one or two caps of bleach. Put your life jackets in and set something heavy on top to weight them down. Put the lid on and let them set over night. Hang them up the next day and let them air dry. We do this about once a month if fishing hard.