Cleaning: how to

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Mar 24, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    How do u clean catfish :confuse: ?????????

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    any thing up to 6 lbs.i filet with an electric knife.over 6 lbs. i hang in a tree cut off tail let bleed to death ,skin and cut up with a hand operated filet knife.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm an oddball on here. I insist on skinning, and filleting by hand. I tried an electric once, and didn't like it. How much detail do ya need? Ever filleted anything before?

4. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    :big_smile: theres plenty of info in the library...i asked this awhile back. Theres tons of different ways in there with instructions

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I'm the same way! :wink:

I sometimes skin it & cut it into stakes, but a member show me how to fillet a fish (Plumbertom) at the Deltalover Gathering this month that I would like to try next chance I get. :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Up here we usually nail the head to a board and make a cut right behind the head crossways (from side-to-side) and then pull the skin off much like a sock. Then fillet away! Hope that helps you out a bit anyway! :)

7. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    Put 'em back to fight another day, and go and buy some fillets from the local grocery store !!!!

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Filet the fish less than 10 pounds, release all the bigger ones with the fish that you don't need.

Filet all fish the same, scaly fish too.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You guys aint alone. I can't seem to use an electric knife worth a darn either. Just like a good sharp knife!:confused2: :crazy:

10. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    After skinning ,after filleting ,make sure to cut out the red blood lines ,this will improve the taste 100%, also all the fat . You will have some waste , but its sure worth it ! A 30lb flathead will yield approximatly 13-14 lbs of meat , some of the best is in the belly , which is filleted inside the rib bones.Be carefull not to get the fishs gut liquids on your meat . I like to soak the fillets in 1/2 cup of coarse salt to 5 gal. spring water over night , next day rinse 3-4 times before freezing , you will see fish oil come to the top of the water . -Freeze in pure water.

11. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
  12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i skin and filet with a rapala filet knife. They arent bass, so i dont filet em like bass. I filet the meat off the ribs instead of cutting the ribs out of the filet. also, on a larger cat 10+ lbs, i cut the 2 nuggets out of the top of the head. I think the best part of the fish is the belly meat. Ihave found that when skinning the belly, its easier to not lose meat if you pull from the anal fins up towards the head.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Those are excellent pictures of how to fillet a catfish, but a few years back, a member posted a little variation of that method that works extremely well for me. With this method, the top of the cut is right behind the top fin; the bottom of the cut is just behind the anus (rectum, a$$hole). By making the cut along this line you not only avoid having to cut any rib bones, but you avoid cutting into the body cavity, making a mess, and having to trim some of it off the fillet. After making this cut down to the backbone, turn the knife & cut along the backbone, just like cutting any other fillet. Fillet off the skin, and your boneless fillet is ready to wash off and cook or freeze. I would have to guess that my cleaning time has been cut in half by using this method. Sorry I don't remember the name of the member who made the original post, but thanks anyway.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=546080&postcount=4

Leroy,

Click on the link above and scroll down til you see the cleaning topics. You might find just what you're looking for there. I think the one Jerry's talking about is even in there. Some good articles that you can print out in there. Hope this helps.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Irish Spring soap seems to get them pretty clean and it makes em smell spring fresh....

16. gebudjr

gebudjr New Member

State:
    Arizona, Tuba City
    I just had lunch and you guys are making me hungry with all this talk of fillets:smile2: .

17. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

man im right with ya!!

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleekcraft [​IMG]
    How do u clean catfish :confuse: ?????????

Irish Spring soap seems to get them pretty clean and it makes em smell spring fresh....

I agree with you Troy, and thats just what I will do if I ever catch a dirty one.........lmao :eek:oooh: :big_smile: :lol:

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    :haha: I prefer Dove soap to clean them myself:spiderman:

20. chevyjames37

chevyjames37 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I dont get to fillet cause the odl lady likes to pick the meat off the bones! So I still have to gut and skin!