Cleaning Great Grandpa's old reel....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 23, 2009.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    since the birth of my first child this winter i have had a lot of free time through the night watching the Baby while my GF sleeps. i have lately found myself going through a lot of old stuff from my family that i am now in posession of since the passing of my Grandmother in '08. the past 2 months ive been organizing old coin collections, photos, heirlooms, etc, and came accross an old "combo" my Great Grandfather used. actually, it was the ONLY rod and reel he used. decided tonight i was going to take it appart and clean it all up and lube it. i remember the outfit from my childhood when he would take me down to his "honey hole" on the GMR in Downtown Dayton. Great Grandpa (Harry Emmett Brandt of Sidney) was the only Father i knew until my Biological Father came back into my life when i was 10yrs old. G-Grandpa passed when i was 13 in the winter of '84 due to severe Bronchitis. he would take me fishing 3-4 times a week with him and would give me a cane pole to catch panfish, or whatever while he fished for carp using this Ancient relic.....

[​IMG]

i am still in awe at how he casted that thing using homemade dough-ball. i am pretty good at casting baitcasters now but still cannot cast that reel! if i remember right he had bought it sometime in the early 40's.
    i sat down earlier tonight, stripped what was left of the old Dacron off and proceeded to clean the reel, planning on removing all the dried Mud, Doughball, and slime from it and then lube it up reel good.
    started noticing all the dried dough-bait, GMR river mud, holes from hooks in the cork handle, and then a faint fingerprint of his in the Mud on the reel seat (couldnt get a good pic of it).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after seeing his Print i drifted off into the past for about 30 minutes remembering him and me and when we went fishing, even on hot sweltering days in the sun, and even days when i remember never getting a bite i loved every minute of it. i then thought of my Son and got all choked up thinking how important a Father/Father Figure is in a childs life, even if its not his biological Father. after coming back to reality i proceeded to unscrew 2 of the sideplate screws to start my cleaning when i seen his Print once again.....

i decided to put the 2 screws back and decided to leave it the way it is...

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Mike great post and am glad you did not try and clean that pole or reel leave it just as it is the way your great grandpa had it ...I'd hang it on the wall to look at every day with a picture of grandpa and remember the great time's you two had together

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Looks kind of like the reel my Dad had (which I have now), I have two shakespear reels that are old and need cleaned. When I was a kid he wouldnt let me touch them LOL. Now I dont want to use them, he would do the same tho using doughball and cast it a country mile.

He would use 25# braid (I still have some and its thick LOL) but it casted well. I would always laugh (like my boys do to me LOL) when it would backlash and he would cuss up a storm. Ill post some pics of them but they look similar to that reel.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post Mike, you can't put a price on a fishing outfit like that. It has way more history to it than just its age... Thanks for sharing, very well written...rollo

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing a neat fishing equipment heritage. Enjoyed.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    saw 2 of those in the pawn shop the other day & thought they were really interesting

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Go ahead and clean it up and use it. The fingerprints and mud pale in comparison the the fingerprints you grand father left on your heart when he touched you with his love. I'll just bet he would have liked to see you trying to fight a nice size cat on that old knuckle buster. I can hear your inner thoughts now;I did it Grandpa I did it! :wink:

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks Mike good story brother brout back lots of memorys

9. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Very interesting story Bro. What a way to preserve a part of the past.

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    great story reminds me of my grandpa never will forget when i hooked him in the ear when i was trying to cast i was about 8 yrs old then