Cleaning gar fish

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by jrwelch3, May 23, 2007.

1. jrwelch3

jrwelch3 New Member

Does anyone know of a link that shows how to clean a gar?
    Thanks.

2. George Graham

George Graham New Member

State:
    Texas
    that is a good link,

My brother in law showed me the trick in using tin snips, lot easier than trying to cut with hatchet or knife.

Some times we catch so many gar, we start using their straps for bait.

works good.

3. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    SMASH HEAD ON ROCK AND THROW IN TRASH CAN :lol:

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    :lol:Or wrap snout closed with some Spiderwire about 40-50 times and catch n release. Not that I've ever done that or anything. :roll_eyes:

5. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I really hate gar. And always thought they were a really bony fish but after seing how easy they are to clean I may have to give em a taste test. They set up in my bait holes...wonder if it is legal catch them in a cast net?

6. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    just think, all these years ive been thrown them a way what a waste

7. BigLaCatfish

BigLaCatfish New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thanks for the link,I don't like gar ,but the rest of my family loves it. Gar has too strong of a taste for me. My grandmother use to make Gar balls ,which is ground up gar cooked like hamburger patties somehow,I was real young and didn't pay attention to how she made them back then.

8. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO

In Missouri it would be legal to catch and keep them in a cast net since they are not classified as a game fish. Whether or not you can will depend on your state regs. However if you ust make up some gar lures they should be easy and fun to catch.

9. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    LOL Thats what i do also BUT I GIVE THE DEEP 6 LOL!! Sorry to the people that like gar BUT DANG THERE NASTY!!!!

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    dont do it! unless you like payin for a new cast net! theyll tear it up.

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Secure head, nailing to board works, cut circle around gar just behind the head, cut down to tail on opposite sides of fish, pull skin off with pliers, filet sides off. They have no bones.

12. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I've ate gar before and its not to bad while its hot but if it cools off its not all that great. I've also eaten my fair shair of carp and I have to say their not bad either especiall if you put lots of butter on them and wrap in foil and smoke them.

13. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    Some of you have never eatin Gar, until you do, don't make too quick of a decision on wether it is good or not. I can remember when Gar sold for 20 cents a pound in fish markets and a lot of times they would just give it away, now it is right up there with catfish at 2.00 to 2.50 pr lb here in Louisiana when they can get it. I sells out very quick and I wish I knew where I could find some now..

14. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Chop a couple of pounds of gar meat as fine as you can or course grind it. Do the same with a large onion. mix the gar, onion, an egg and a hand full of corn meal. roll into golf ball sized balls flatten'em a little and fry'em till golden brown. serve with cold brew..............

15. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    dad would skin and gut and mother would put them in a pressure cooker , when done she would season the meat and make patties and fry them.

16. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
  17. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Is the taste of gar comparable to any other fish? Or does it just depend on how you prepare it? Can you just cut the filets into little nuggets and throw some cornmeal and salt and pepper on them?