Cleaning cats?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by monimoon, Jan 5, 2008.

1. monimoon

monimoon New Member

State:
    NC
    So I'm gonna try fishing for some Channel Cats (yep,first time) and I was wondering if I get lucky! how do I clean them for eating???? How the heck do I cook them? From what I've heard I don't think I'll be eating anything over 5Lbs.

Any one recomend a rod, test pound line and sinker I should use? If mines not up to par for cat fishing I'd rather not snap it. I'm told and have seen photos of cats cought in our area they're huge! I also know our lake is 20ft deep or more in areas.

Should I go at night?

Its winter in our area now is this a good time our should I wait till spring?

Sorry for all the questions but this site seems like the place to ask! :big_smile:
    Thanks for your time!!

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well... if you are not hunting the big ones, the rod in your avatar should do fine. I like a good fight and it is hard to get one with a "broomstick" rod.

For channels I like 10 to 20 lb line. Depending on where I am, and how large I expect the fish to be.

Sinker depends on what kind of water you are fishing. Less in the lake, more in the river with current. 1/4 to 1/2 oz should do you in the lake.

Go at night? If you want to. I have done well both ways. Bait and location are more important.

I don't know about NC but the water gets pretty chilly up this way and the action slows considerably till spring. They can still be had, but patience is a virtue this time of year.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just fillet them like you would any other fish.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cooking catfish.

the most popular way is frying. if you fillet the fish they can be fried. either fry whole or cut unto chunks 2-3" square. either buy a comercially available breading or try this.

simple dry breading cup flour 1/4 cup yellow corn meal, 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper . roll fillets in egg immed dip into this breading and place in hot oil.

small fish under 1lb are best bone in. simply cut off head after skinning andf split belly and remove guts. wash well and do same as above.

wet batter. 2 cups flour 1/2 to 3/4 can of beer 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 1/2 tsp garlic salt. mix untill its like pancake batter. add 1 egg re mix. dip fish pecies into batter and place in hot oil.

these are simple breadings and you can add any spice ya wish. more of salt and pepper can be added to taste.

catfish can be baked as well. a good one i like is to take 2 fillets. place in a big piece of foil and lay in middle. place 1/2 can condensed cream mushroom soup on fish. add 1/4 can sliced carrots or 1 whole carrot sliced. add a stalk of celery sliced thin. 1` potato sliced in 1/2 and then into thin slices. dash with pepper and garlic salt and oregano. bake in pre heated oven at 350 deg for 1 hr. remove open and add some shreadded swiss or motzerella cheese and place back in oven on broil untill cheese just begins to brown. slide on plate and enjoy.

fish can be grilled. sit fillets on foil. add salt pepper lemon juice. place on grill wrapped for 1/2 hr open foil and brown slightly.

can also be placed on lightly oiled frying pan and seasoned to taste with salt pepper garlic salt ect... and fried without oil.

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Trust me, the electric knife is the way to go its fast and easy,thanks dave for that info.

7. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    The best way i found,and boy their good is take 8 eggs and a can of mountain dew thats the batter,use house of autry seafood breading,double dip in both and deep fry,they will float when ready,they will be so good theyll make a preacher cuss..dont tell no one of this recipe,its a secret...and another secret on the hushpuppies,use house of autry mix with oinons instead of water use moutain dew again..sounds crazy but well worth the taste,after you cook em this way,and eat em youll thank me..lol

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Welcome to the BOC Monica. I skin and cook anything that is small whole and fillet any fish that is over a lb to a lb and 1/2. So many ways to cook them and I have tried them all. I am sure that you will get many ways to cook them from all the members. Fishing is slower in the winter but can still be caught. Good luck.
    Bill

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    If the temps are in the 30's or lower, I wouldn't go. Now before anyone kills me, let me just say that if you are new to catfishing, it is better to go when the fish are more active and you can catch more of them. Winter fishing can be tough, especially from the bank. Wait till it warms, and cut a perch in half. Stick a big hook in it and cast with an egg sinker. Just wait, you'll be surprised.
    Good luck and best wishes!

10. huskercatman

huskercatman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    electric knife is the only way to go

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    As far as cookin' goes, go to the BOC Diner. There are so many recipes in there it will boggle the mind.

But the good thing about that is you'll never run out of ways to cook em':eek:oooh:

Plus there are recipes in there for just about anything else from side dishes to deserts!!!:wink:

and welcome to the BOC Monica. Good Luck!!:big_smile:

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer to clean and eat catfish in the 3-5 lbs range. I like to take and cut into bite size nuggets...bout the size of a chicken Mcnugget from Mickey dees. I take the nuggets and dip them into bowl with a few eggs whipped up. Then coat them with andy's fish and shrimp breading. Then lightly fry in oil of your choice....followed up with some hushpuppies or good ol cornbread with some whitebeans. Yummo!!!! Going to the kitchen now I'm hungry..:wink:

13. monimoon

monimoon New Member

State:
    NC
    Man that does sound good!!

14. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use egg wash and a combo of flour and a bunch of cajun seasoning.... and deep fry them in peanut oil. Fillets, nuggets, whatever...

Even my 5 yr old daughter who does not like seafood will gobble these up...

Good luck.