Cleaning Catfishing Gear

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hct236, May 11, 2009.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    We all know how funky our catfishing rods and reels can get and when it comes time to give them a cleaning try this. I was afraid to use cleaners that would get on the line and may spook fish, so I started using lemon juice and it cleans good and I dont think the lemon juice smell/scent spooks the fish if it gets on line.

2. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    sounds good to me, gonna have to try it

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I just clean mine with some hot water.When I put em away for the winter ,I take the spool out & wash them down good with soap & water.IMO-I,d be careful about getting that lemon juice down in my reel parts,it,s very acidic.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Agreed! Lemon juice is as bad if not worse than the citrus in a orange for acid levels. It is very corrosive over time on metals, plastic/graphite will "not" be affected by this.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I honestly stick with cold water. Much anything else will take off your grease and oil from inside the reel. If I'm in the boat and the water is clean I will even dunk it in the water and then wipe them down with a rag.....works fine without any solvents, scents,etc.

Ps..evenin the directions to reels it will say to clean with water ; )

-Jim-

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use fresh clean water to clean my gear..