Cleaning catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by airforceben, Dec 19, 2006.

1. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    i looked al over the library and found lots of good info but theres not a thread that really shows or tells what to do all the way through. so i would like to know how to clean a fish from live well to dinner table. asking alot i know, but i rather ask and do it right.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If I owned a digital camcorder I would record the cleaning of a catfish from beginning to end for you. Maybe someone with one will do it. I learned the way most of do, from my dad. Since then I have went to an electric fillet knife and really cut down on cleaning time.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
  4. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Jerry,That is a clean way but Whistler left the best part in there,I love the bellie meat .....

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That belly meat is always good, mmmm mmmm good

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used to do it the way that was shown in the thread from Whistler. Then some time back, I started to just fillet them like any other fish. With a few minor exceptions, I do it just like is shown in this video.

How to clean a catfish and other species

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Do the cats that small even have enough belly meat to get? I was told that only your big flatties have enough belly meat to take.

Wheelmobile07

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

WOW that guys is quick. Thanks that was a great video. That while quicker than me is how I do it also.

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I had pictures or videos of my fish being cleaned, I would start a new thread for it. Maybe I should do that sometime, whenever the cats start biting again.

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    THanks for sharing the video Howard. I watched it five times.

Jaime

11. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri

If your gonna clean a flathead, the belly meat is definately worth saving, no matter how small the fish is, if not ,your wasting a 3rd of the meat .​
    I hang mine up and cut the tail completly off(snip it clean off with some loppers or good sheers) and let em bleed all the blood out ( It'll pour out like a stuck hog) then ill skin and gut em, making sure to get as close to the head as possible( under the belly and on top) the bleeding process will eliminate any blood getting on the meat during skinning and gutting.​
    Its like bleeding a hog, cow or a deer or any other animal ,before butchering, (Its a must for the best meat)it keeps the hormones off the meat .​
    Then ill take em inside to my sink and fillet all the meat off, making sure not to waste an ounce of meat,, soak em in some salt water and then trim all the fat and red meat off .​
    It may seem like a long process but its well worth not waisting any meat, especially as good as a flathead is, and a flathead is the only thing I'll clean .​
    The key is,,, how ever u want to clean them, the bleeding is the most important first step, .​

Here is a pic of some meat after filleting it off the bone with no rinsing,,, notice,,, no blood whatso ever on the meat , and look at them belly slabs!!!!

Attached Files:

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great Instructions Guys Thanks:0a23:

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah bleeding them out is best in my oppinion , i dont use an electric knife but still get the job done . i learnt from my brother vern who learnt from dad .

14. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Nice video. That's the way I clean catfish also. Except I don't have an electric fillet knife so it takes me a little longer. Also after I have the fillet, I remove the dark line running down the middle. Some call it the blood vein or mud vein. Either way I think it distracts from the taste of a good channel cat fillet.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been doing it like the vid. shows. Fast and no waste.
    Bill

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    In the library are many fine articles on cleaning catfish....then if you look in the recipe section, you'll find more recipes with instructions on how to prepare the fish for the skillet, stock pot or grill than you'll be able to try in the next year. Put the two together and you won't have to watch some guy cleaning a baitfish with an electric filet knife. LOL And I didn't write those articles, I just copied them over from the old website to this one. Why don't one of you guys make a video like this one with real fish in it for the library. Just send me a PM when it's done and I'll take care of posting it for you. Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone!!

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I skin my catfish first and then fillet them.

18. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Blues, less than 10 lbs is all I keep, if any - Depends on how many I'm cleaning. If less tan 10 or so, a modified version of Whistler's post is the quickest for me (I make fewer cuts), for a bunch of fish, the electric knife like the vid gets used.

19. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I fillet all the fish I catch with the exception of trout, which I head and gut for the smoker. I only use a good fillet knife not an electric, it's best to learn how to do it manually as you don't always have an outlet handy.
    I will add that you need to learn proper sharpening of your knifes as you will cut yourself faster and deeper with a dull knife than a sharp one.

20. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have always wondered now I know thanks again!:big_smile: