Cleaning Catfish With An Electric Knife

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Ryan Martin(Martinman) on May 10, 2004

After mentioning the way that I and several other BOC members clean cats, several other brothers have expressed interest in how it is done. I took some pics to try and demonstrate how easy and efficient it can be by cleaning cats with an electric kitchen knife. I will warn everyone that it does take a little patience at first, but can save a lot of time in the end.

As well, the pics are very "graphic", but I feel that they best demonstrate how to clean a cat well. Here we go...

[​IMG]

Position the knife parallel to the rib cage, just in front of the dorsal fin.
    [​IMG]

Cut through to the backbone, then turn the knife as to cut along the backbone.
    [​IMG]

Begin cutting along backbone. It will be interesting at first as you have to cut through several ribs.
    [​IMG]

Cut along backbone until you get near the tail. Do not go beyond this point.
    [​IMG]

Roll fillet over.
    [​IMG]

These pics show that you get as much meat as possible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Position the knife at the end of the fillet. Slowly cut through the fillet and cut between the skin and fillet. This step should be done carefully. If you go too fast, you will cut through the skin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you have removed the skin, then cut the ribs from the fillet as demonstrated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is your finished product... a nice fillet with no bones, and required no pliers and little effort.
    [​IMG]

In conclusion, this is a simple way. The only areas where meat is not removed from the fish is right in front of the dorsal fin and the belly meat. On larger cats, I remove the meat near the dorsal fin with a normal fillet knife.

After filleting the catfish, I place the fresh fillets in cold water with some added salt. The salt helps remove any blood that is present on the fillets. They are then ready to be rinsed, bagged and stored.

I hope this will help the brotherhood as it has majorly helped me in making the whole fishing experience more enjoyable.