Cleaning brass without a tumbler?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Jun 6, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive been doing this for years and have seen no ill effects. My brass doesnt look like factory but they seem clean and the insides seem clean as well. I put some dish soap into a five gallon bucket and fill with hot water. Stir, stir, stir and then I dry it on a dehydrator. Does anyone know if this can have any bad effects on my brass, rifle or dies? Or does anyone have any other brass cleaning methods without using a tumbler?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,I would rinse it good in cool or warm water before drying ,I never cleaned mine inside . I just used the lee base collet and a cordless drill and spun em in a wad of steel wool. My fingers can't handle that no more ,so I bought a Frankford arsenal tumbler. [available at midway usa] for under 70 bucks. check em out

3. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    I plan on eventually getting a tumbler but not any time soon. Your right about the rinsing just forgot to add that part, doh. I was wondering if cleaning inside the case was overkill. I did a uh oh last night and useda 44 special trimmer to trim a 44 mag case. I did it once and while grinding away I noticed this thing is way too small, lol. Did a little research and Im not even gonna bother trimming my 44 mag cases anymore. Dont even know why I bought a 44 special trim gauge anyway.:embarassed:

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Brian you should be able to reload moderate charges 4 or 5 times without trimming the cases, and then 3 or 4 more times after that if you are just target shooting. Reduce those numbers if you are near a max load. That's where the case tumbling comes in. It's not just to look pretty, but so you can inspect the cases easily by sight. Any splits round the case mouth, or bulges in the cases and toss em brother. It ain't worth it.
    As you reload, don't ignore downloading your charges for target fun. Everything goes farther; powder, cases, and fun....especially with the big bores. Load them 44 mags, like a 44 special and enjoy yerself.
    :smile2:
    Get a tumbler.
    :roll_eyes:

5. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Very good advice on loading less than max load. I do that and even hunt with light 30/06 loads. I made a mistake my first go round with the 44 mag loads, I listened to a guy selling powder at the gun show. Bought winchester 296 powder and it only recommends big loads, I believe 25 grains or so, with a 1 grain tolerance. This go round Im looking for something below 10 grains, should have took my reloading book to the gun show.:embarassed: We got a national gun day coming up next weekend and I plan on stocking up, Ill even look for a deal on a tumbler and media. Im getting excited, almost feels like hunting season coming up, I cant wait.:big_smile:

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've had great results with Hodgdon's "Titegroup", a powder made for consistant velosity with small charges in large capacity cases, like the 44.
    Also really do think that Alliant's "Unique" probably really is the most versatile pistol powder out there. (Sneak that in here least we start a powder debate,)
    :smile2:

7. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    During some of my research I came across some others that loved titegroup as well as unique. Will have to find one of them this weekend. I dont think we could start much of a debate on powder, I dont know much about the stuff except what I read in my manuals, unless you and richard go at it.lol
    One thing I had trouble finding is some recommended light loads for hunting or if there would be that big a difference. Especially under 40 yards or so. I was shocked when I heard a few talking about 100 yard shots with a 44 pistol, WOW!!! I need to practice more.

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Years ago before I got a tumbler I used to use vinagar to soak them in for a day or two and it cleaned them pretty well. When I was a kid my dad and his friends would do that and I just followed along when I grew up.
    Unique has always been a good powder for me along with 2400 for the 44 mag. My TC 14" barrel along with a good scope shots pretty fair at 100 yards but my Ruger Blackhawk with open sights is more of a 50 yard gun with my old eyes.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Not a chance we'd go at it, LOL. I got too much respect for him.
    As far as the 100 yard shots with a pistol......it's kinder to say nothing. A pistol always has and always will be what you have close by to enable you to get to your rifle. Your next gun should be a 44 mag carbine. I'm thinking serious about swapping out my pistols for more practical "old guy guns". But enjoy it while you can. As your eyes go to bifocal's, even thou the flesh is willing the eyes are weak, LOL. Scopes help us. But you should try a carbine and a pistol of the same caliber the same day at 25 yards. If you're really good, the pistol group will be 4-5 inches, and the carbine a cloverleaf.
    :big_smile:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thank you Sir for the kind words. I have kept mum on this other than the cleaning of the brass cause to be honest guys. I dont load pistol cartridges . I only own .22 handguns .sooooo Brian it ain't in my grey matter :wink::big_smile:

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't know about the brass cleaning as I've always used a tumbler. I've got an RCBS that the motor's gone out twice over the last 20 years. They've replaced it for free both times and sent it back with a note to send it back to them if it goes out again. You can't beat that kind of service! I like the walnut media the best as it doesn't get into the flash holes as easily when polishing sized and deprimed brass. I use regular crushed walnut for cleaning, then after resizing, I use the crushed walnut with polish in it. I add brasso to get them really brite.

As far as a great target load for the .44 mag, the ole standard load that seems to go great as far as light recoil and very accurate is the old 240grain cast semi-wadcutter with 8 grains of Unique powder. Unique used to be a pretty dirty burning powder, but they changed the formula a bit and it's alot cleaner now. I've used the new stuff and the accuracy didn't change. I've also used Winchester 231 powder with the same results

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i reload for 243 and 25-06. i do not have a tumbler. i use soap and hot tap water to clean brass. i rinse them in hot tap water . i have not seen any ill affects from this method. i do plan on adding a tumbler before long though.

13. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I put my cases in old tube socks and tie off the top and run them through a wash cycle in the washing machine. It gets them clean.