Cleaning and Preparing a Turtle for the Table

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Whistler, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I'd like to put a good article in the library on how to clean and prepare a turtle for eating. I'd like this to be a good article with pics and detailed instructions. I had fried turtle once and it was great. So if someone that's got some experience at this would take the time, I'd really appreciate it as would a lot of other members. If someone does take the time, please PM me when it's ready and I'll do the rest. Thanks!

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd like to see that, myself... I've heard a lot about eating turtle but never had the opportunity to eat one...:eek:oooh:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    A mind is like a parachute. It's only useful when it's open.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does turtle eatin' apply to any turtle, or specific species..?
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Hebrew: Macho glass of beer.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that would be great as ive only butchered one which was about a 35 lb snapper but wasnt shure what i was doing but finally managed to get it done got about 3 gallon ziplok bags of meat from it it was pretty good fried

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Bryan next time I get one I'll do a step by step/ pic by pic for ya.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would like to read that too. My dad has a friend that does it and he gives us some meat every year. my favorite way to eat it, is put it in a crockpot with condensed mushroom soup, some onions, a few slices of green peppers, 2 bouyon cubes and fresh morels. let that cook slowly for about 5 hours-it's awesome.

7. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    In Arkansas the Loggerhead Snapping Turtle is protected by law. It is on the endangered species list. I hear people eat the Spiny Soft Shell Turtles. The other turtles could be eaten I guess , just not by me!:lol:

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    To me the only turtle worth eating is the Snapping Turtle. We always flipped them over on thier back take a long nail,drive it through center of shell on a board.Take a long pair of pliers grab the feet one at a time and cut them off or theywill cut you to pieces ,then take pliers and pull head out and cut it off.Then take real sharp knife and start cutting around the inside of shell,keep working till you get it all cut off and you've got all meat. then cut it up however you want to.
    been 8-10 years since I cleaned turtles.Don't really like doing it but is good eating if fixed right.

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    In IN game turtles are classed, common snapping, smooth softshell, and spiny softshell. Season is year round, 25 daily bag limit. I know places in the Blue River near Milltown where they are so thick, you can't use a stringer.....this could get fun. You can use traps if they are above the water.

10. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Turtles taste great as long as someone else does the work.Been catching some with shells 24 to 36 inches.Always hope they come off the hook so I do not have to deal with them.I would love to know how to kill and clean them.

11. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
  12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks everyone. Maybe when summer gets here one of you can do a step by step as Tea said. It would be a great addition. I've eaten turtle one time and it was excellent. Fried like chicken and very good. Someone might even do an article on identifying them and catching them....on purpose! LOL Thanks everyone!

13. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I think I'll just follow Dink around when he goes fishing. I should have turtles galore to fix up for yall. lol

14. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    He did ask for prayer that the curse of the turtle be lifted from him. Think we should?:confused2: or wait till everybody on here has followed him around:lol:

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i figured if there was "turtle talk" going on my name would be brought up:tounge_out:

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    do turtles have the same problem with fish. like an eating advisory? I'd think there would be.

17. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LOL, we all love ya Dink. (Well, except for the turtles with sore jaws, lol)

18. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Baldini !!!
    Now thats good.
    Where did you come up with that one?
    Where and what kind of dogs do you show?
    I always thought that would be interesting.
    Asking because I don't know anything about it.

19. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Huh..??

~~~~~~~~~~
    Common Sense is very Uncommon.

20. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    ditto here Dink!!! did you look at the post from the Missouri Dept. of Conservation??? excellent article.