Cleaning and checking an old Penn 209's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BajaCoop, May 29, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I just got my three penn 209's in the mail on Friday and was wondering what things I should be sure to check out and make sure that I clean and oil well before using it.

I have never aken one apart so I would like to get an assembly drawing of it. Are these easy to find if I just look on google? Or is there a specific place that would be best to look at.

Any suggestions, tips, or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    scotts bait and tackle has one of the best selections of penn schematics on the web

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    There is a detailed set of instructions somewhere on this board but I don't know how to find them .Hope someone else can help.
    Jake

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
  5. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    you know that would be alright, but nobody tells how to install the dog and spring, i would like to know too!!!!

6. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    ok i dont know how to cut and paste but i will try to explain how i have done it , with all the bridge assembly in place except the dog and spring start (but do not tighten completely)the 4 screws that hold the bridge plate in place slide the dog underneath the plate in it's proper place now using needle nose pliers attach spring to dog and i use a dental pick to attach the other end of the spring to the short plastic post .

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Found the thread in the library look under assembly of penn peerless 9 this is a complete guide with photos .

8. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thx. that might make it easier! hnterrcc

9. jcara3043

jcara3043 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    pennreels.com penn.com. The local retailer can help you too.... Not too much maintenance is required I own 2 penn 209 and I got my manuals off the website......good luck

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Had 2-209 reels that were worn out. put both together and made 1 works great.

11. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey, I've got a text document copied from this site I can send ya. Have to send it to an email address, though, this site only lets me send pics and pdf documents. But it pretty much is step-by-step. I know it's on here somewhere, but can't recall where I found it. I'd be happy to email it to ya, if interested. PM me with an email address. I also have the 209 schematic as well.