Cleaning an aluminum boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tanner, Mar 27, 2006.

1. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    what would you recommend for cleaning up an aluminum jon boat. mine is a little dingey and wondered if there was something out there that will help return it to it's original luster?

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    simple green works good if you can get it.

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    simple green huh? i will have to check it out. surely walmart or lowe's will have it eh?

4. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I'm sure they would. I've always bought it at the ace hardware. It works good to clean just about anything.

5. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    sweet! thanks for the help!

:rock-big:

6. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    i have found that using a product called alluminex will remove any oxidation. then wax it with a car polish. Mine looks like glass!

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Tanner, I've tried cleaning mine with some aluminum polish that I got at WalMart. Whew! Takes a lotta elbow grease & rags to get it shiny again, and since I get tired easily & have a short attention span, only certain spots on my boat are shiny-clean. Some day I hope to be able to connect all the shiny spots!

8. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    that's too funny bro!! lol. :thumbsup:

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    ORIGINAL LUSTER????

You DO plan on catfishing again dont you??? LOL

You could rub a chocolate bar on it to spot-shine the bad spots.. then wash it off with a good soap and wax on-wax-off.

Serious.

and this aint no donny baker thing neither, Ill tell ya to yer face, man... I swear ta God, man!

LOL

Yes it will work but the above stuff does better.

10. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It might be a pain on something large as a boat but a real good thing to polish aluminum or chrome is..Aluminum Foil.I know it sounds crazy but try it on something sometime.Fold up some Foil like a cloth and pour a little water on the surface and rub.It's pretty amazing how it works, just keep the surface wet while you rub.It will even take light surface rust off off your chrome bumpers and mirrors on your truck.

11. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    U CAN USE FLITZ AND A BUFFER IT WORKS GREAT ON MY DIAMONDPLATE TOOL BOX OR ANY ALUM. FOR THAT MATTER HOPE THIS HELPS:cool:

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    there are several cleaners out there to clean it like toonbrite it will make it look good again. after you clean it with the toon brite then polish it with a buffer makes her shine

13. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
  14. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    Sal...you ain't right bro! hahaha ;)

15. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I have three words for ya Tanner,

Olive Drab Paint

Forget the polishing man, go fishin'! This ain't no beauty contest!:0a23:

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if you live near a chemical store they should have this stuff called alum. acid alot of dealers use it. you spray it on with a squirt bottle and wait for it to turn white and foamy then just hose it off with the water hose. it will remove about anything.

17. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Alright, I only do this once or twice a month but I like to use 20+ lb Blue Catfish. If you can hook yerself a good sized cat as your trying to wrestle him into the boat, go ahead and let him slap against the side of yer boat a few times. As your catching these large catfish alternate to the opposite side of the boat thata way you get a good coating of fish oil on each side. After fishing like this a few hours (I know, it takes time and commitment) there should be a good amount of film built up which on the way back to the ramp will polish up great since the boat should be taking on several extra inches of water due to the mass quantities of fatties aboard.

Anyway, like I said, I do this every chance I get and my boat stays purdyenuff for me...:cool:

18. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    you ain't right! ;):)

19. rookie_cater

rookie_cater New Member

State:
    Milford,Ohio
    You can look/get stuff for polishing/cleaning aluminum at your local Harley Davidson shop!!

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just go out to the middle of the river or lake and pull the drain plug. Throw it overboard. Your boat will be clean by the time you get to shore, if you do. LOL