Cleaning aluminum jon?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by kyhunter, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kyhunter

kyhunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hi fellow catfishers.I am new here and have already found tons of great tips.Thanks for having a forum like this with all this catfishing info in 1 spot.Here is my 16 ft 1965 starcraft jon boat i recently picked up for $300.00.She was a rental boat for years.Can anybody tell me what the best thing for cleaning the hull is?I want to remove the water line and crud and eventually put a deck in her and fix her up a little.Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks.-Steve
    [​IMG],
    [​IMG],
    [​IMG]

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :0a25: TO THE MIGHTY BOC!

3. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    use SOS pads it works pretty good on pontoon boats so i guess i would work in your case and welcome to the BOC

4. kyhunter

kyhunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys.I will try the SOS pads.Is there a good spray on cleaner that will help loosen up the grime?I was told to use something with hydrochloric acid but i dont know if this will hurt the aluminum.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    go to any boat dealer and ask for "toon bright" its an acid for cleaning aluminum. you will spray on let sit for a min or two then hose off. aluminum will be clean as new but will have a dull look but you can buff right back out.

6. kyhunter

kyhunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks On the Fly.I have seen the toon bright.I will definately buy some and try it.Mabey use the SOS pads to buff it out a little after.Thanks.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Steve.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    A Big Ol Welcome to the B.O.C. Steve. J.D.

9. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    John
    Clean the boat in the grass, not on your concrete pad - the grass will recover, that acid penetrates unsealed concrete and no amount of water rinse will keep it from making your surface spall.

10. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used to use commercial aluminum acid washes to clean/de-oxidize my livestock trailers, but have since switched to works toilet cleaner. Simply spray on full strength then rinse with water water after about a minuet. It works really well for me.

11. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    Your boat looks like its painted white. Since it is painted I think I would just lightly sand it off to smooth the existing paint and then wash it down with soap and warm water. And then just spray it with Krylon olive drab spray paint. Its easy to use and if you want to redo it down the road it would be easy to do it over again in a few hours. It is easy to make it look good since it is a dull finish. I have done this myself and it looks good.

If you remove the old paint you have to use a etching primer to repaint it.

12. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Lysol Toilet bowl cleaner will remove all the water line from your boat. Be careful with it though. It will remove the paint if left on over a few minutes.

Spray the cleaner on wait one minute and rinse. Do NOT spray the entire boat all at once. DO small area's only.