cleaning abu garcia fishing reels, oh the frustration

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Dec 6, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have many abu reels, I never take them apart to clean or lube.

Mainly because I tried it twice a few years ago and both reels ended up in the trash can.

Now all my reels work fine even without taking them apart for cleaning, but you see I am really a stupid person.:wink:

I was bored this evening and decided to do it again, I can honestly say I will never, ever under any circumstace do this again.

I cleaned and lube the reel but when I put it back together the spool would not engage, so I took it apart again then along with the spool not engaging, another small problem popped up...After taking it apart and putting it back together 6-8 time I had a reel that was totaly worthless:sad2:

So I took the reel, steped outside my apartment and took aim at the biggest tree I could find, and threw it as hard as I could, the reel hit the tree and bounced off and hit my truck putting a slight scratch on it.

But it was well worth it!:smile2:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan asked me opnce to do either a Video, or photo tutorial on how to take apart and clean reels, especially Abu's. just havent found the time yet :sad2:. it takes time to learn the art of reel repair/cleaning, dont get too anxious and frustrated you have all winter to practice lol. if you havent tossed it yet hold on to it, you may "get it" someday and need it for parts! honestly, if your abu doesnt get submerged in water or buried in sand you really dont need to clean/lube them but about every 5 years or so. my reels go about 4 years in between cleanings and i put them through pure HELL!!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Patience Jack. If you didn't break the reel when it hit the truck/tree it can still be fixed. What model of ABU was it?

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jack i'll send mailing address and you can just let me have the dirty one's.:wink: No need in de-barkin the timber or scratchin up a nice truck.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've been picking up6500's and 7000's, some of them need fixin',,
    On the 7000's I started learning how to make the clickers work right, then, had some that the drags were a bit worn out,,,,
    Then learned how the pawl worked on the levelwind mechanism,,,
    I found it a big help here.....

www.abugarcia.com/service.php

You can download schematics, and call them and order parts..

I've not completely disassembled any reels, they are kinda scary looking inside. but, taking one problem at a time.,,,Several have had so much grease in them that they would hardly function, so, mostly I clean that out, and lightly lube them and go fishin'

I've not gotten into spincasters at all, but, they are probably next!!

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is only one way to clean a reel, any reel. First you need a large work space. Spread a big white towel down. Only take one side off at a time.Take your reel apart one screw at a time and place it in that order on the towel. Never walk away for more than fifteen minutes or you will forget where you are. Don't drop anything, by the time you find it your fifteen minutes will be up and you wont know where it came from in the first place! lol :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    It's amazing where a clip ring or a spring will end up.......:crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You guys crack me up:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:...W

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I take mine apart completley and clean and lube them every 3 months or so, and to this day they function like brand new. The first time was a little hairy, but after some trial and error, its really easy to do and worth it.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    AND, before your ricochet the reel off a tree or your pickup, you could send it to an abu repair shop where for $20.00 labor they'll clean/lube the reel and if a part is worn they'll replace it at the same time. You figure the initial expense of the reel, I wonder if it is really worth the "fee good" moment to trash the reel. This advice from a guy who wrecked havoc on the carb of an International Scout with a two pound ball peen hammer. Never had another problem from THAT carb. LOL

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    All you have to do is disassemble it part by part laying them out in the order they come out.
    Clean them one at the time and reverse the order.

Quit being a bull in china shop.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Naw , I think I will keep slaming them against trees, gives me a good excuse to by new ones:wink:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Instead of paying 20 dollars to clean plus parts, I would rather just pay 80 and get a new reel.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You guys dont understand, I could not hammer a nail into a 2x4, so there is no way I can reasimble my rrels

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hmmmm,

I can see it would be a problem,,, Maybe,,Don't use a Reel as a Hammer....:wink:

17. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well Jack I used to be a carpenter so I have a solution for you. Next time you need a nail driven in a 2 x 4 you call me. I'll drive the nail and you give me a dirty reel. Honest it's a win win situation:smile2:

18. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    lol.
    we don't live that far apart jack.if you want to get together sometime,i can show how to put them back together.

first time i tore one apart was way before the internet.i couldn't get one back together,i had to go to the local bait store and see if they would let me look at the exploded view of the parts list so i could put it back together.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack,

I've now cleaned, oiled/greased 7 reels in the last week or two. I think I finally have it down now. I haven't worked on any 7000's but I'm going to assume it's the same basic idea.

I'm going to start on a rebuild of a 6500 soon. I bought some 6500 Camo side plates and will be upgrading an older 6500 with the new side plates and other parts.

20. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I tore mine 6500s apart also! The first time the clicker didnt work! so i tore it apart again then my clicker worked but I had no drag! So I tried it one more time and everything works, but have no idea how!:smile2: