Cleaning a Reel

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by AwShucks, Feb 3, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I recently found a spinning reel I used back in the 80's. I had cleaned the reel and put it up for storage. I tried to crank the reel and it was stiff. I believe the grease inside has pretty well caked up. My question is, what can I safely use to clean the reel? I thought of gasoline, but I don't want to be a budda guy. Have no idea where kerosene can even be bought these days. Any suggestions?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I would'nt use gas or kerosene. That smell would stay on the reel for ever. I would use soapy water and then lube properly.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3744

I fully agree with Big George about the gas and kerosene. It your reel happens to have plastic or nylon gears in there you could do some real damage if you're not careful. I use warm soapy water when I clean mine. Dish soap works great for me as it has a good degreasing effect on the reel. And when you grease your reel, make sure you use some good quality REEL grease. Most brands are designed for a reel and won't stiffen up in the cold like most grease made for high speed applications. And definately don't pack it in there. Just a light coating of grease is all that's needed. Anyway, the link above is to the table of contents for the library and it has some good reel cleaning articles in it. Hope this helps.

4. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Hmmm.. I remember the old days when I'd just stick my 202 in the h20. :rolleyes:

Lucas

5. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    In my reel repair business I use Simple Green to clean reels. ItÂ’s non-toxic, biodegradable and cuts through the grease really well. Do not use WD40
    to lube your reels. It has a solvent component to it and melts rubber and plastic parts over time. I have sold a lot of replacement parts to fisherman who use it. I can typically open a reel and tell that WD40 was used

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I use simple green also works very well then rinse with water and lube.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I use dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush and hot water. Works like a charm.

8. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Just a thought here guys. I work on army aircraft and about 7 years ago they stopped us from washing our aircraft with Simple Green because it's very corrosive to aluminum and magnesium. I'd probably think twice about using this on fishing reels very often. It might never do a thing to them, but I'd say warm soapy water works good enough for me. And dish soap is cheaper too.

9. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I agree with the dishsoap and warm water. And more grease is not a good thing...LOL

10. Gonzo_Joe

Gonzo_Joe New Member

State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    I clean my reels out with a mild dish soap, then let everything dry thoroughly. Next I'll take any roller bearings and soak them in carb or brake cleaner to get the gunk out, and after they dry, I'll put some 30 weight oil in a tablespoon and set the roller bearing in it, heating the bottom of the spoon with a lighter or candle to thin the oil, and when the little air bubbles quit rising up, I know the bearing is fully saturated with clean oil. I then coat the gears and other contact points with a light layer of white lithium grease. This seems to work good, as I've got reels older than I am that are still going strong with no problems.

11. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    If you want to clean the bearings, lighter fluid is one of the best things out there. A lot of the surf fisherman around here use that to clean Abu bearings. It has a lubricating effect on the bearings as well, plus it won't really hurt anything that I've ever seen. One guy has a few Abu's that are over 20 years old and all he's ever used is lighter fluid. For the rest of the reel I use dishwashing soap and hot water to rinse them off. Usually let everything air dry or take a compressor and about 30 PSI to them. I also put a thin layer of Yamaha outboard grease on the inside of the reel to prevent corrosion since I fish in brackish and salt water. CorrosionX is another good product to check out as well.

12. Whistler

State:
    TN
    We use CorrosionX on everything here. It works great for an area already affected by Corrosion. Stops it dead in it's tracks. Not sure how it would work as a preventative though, but I'd imagine that as much as it costs it would do the job.

13. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    WD-40 works well, it mixes with soap and water pretty good too.
    My first choice of soap would be Dawn.