cleaning a gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by on_the_fly, Jul 20, 2009.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've seen a few people ask so since my son got one today I decided to take a few pics along the steps I take in cleaning one out. it might take a few post to get all the pics up but any ways if I did it right and the pics are in order then

the first pic is were I use the tin snips to cut the fin back to be able to get a starting point to cut all the way up the back.

the next is showing the cut up the back

the third pic is of the side cuts. these cuts help peeling back the skin alot easier

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      23.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
  2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the fourth pic is showing the bottom cut . this cut allows the pices of skin to be completly removed easily to get them out of the way. cutting just below were the skin is turning white in color.

the next pic is all the skin removed from the right side of the gar, witch now you can clearly see the nice boneless white back strap meat we want to keep for table fair.

the next one is a pic of the back strap meat cut out with one last cut to completly free it from the gar.

I then flip the fish over and proseed to repeat the same on the other side. the gar in the pics weighed in at around 10 lbs and took about 5 mins to remove both back straps.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      23.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    and for my final pic it is a pic with the boneless back straps removes and what the gar should look something like when done removing the meat.
    I'm sorry it took three post to get the pics in but it will only let me put three pics in a post. but anyways I hope this gave a little insite to a few on cleaning one and inspire a few to try cleaning one. TIGHT LINES

Attached Files:

4. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    I have cleaned them like you have, except for making the side cuts which looks like a great idea. In your pic it looks like the whole main back bone is still attach to the inside of the fish ? I had to scrape all the meat out then use a knife to cut the meat away from the backbone, does the meat pull away from the backbone while it's connected to the fish ?

PS Gar meat is best tasting fish I have ever eaten.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    use your knife and run it from one end to the other right between the meat and back bones. the meat will come right off with out haveing to mess with any bones. cutting the back straps out of a deer is just about identical (if you have ever removed them out before. same kinda tissue feel running your knife down the bones peeling the meat away with the other hand.)

6. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Hi, on_the_fly, I never cleaned a deer, but I think I know what you mean.Also do you just rip those little squares off with a pliers and the meat doesn't stick to it ?

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    by the little squares you are talking about the skin right? you can just pull them off but it is much easeir to pull with a little pressure and run the knife along them and hepl them fall off. it only takes a few swipes with the knife to acheive

8. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Ok,one last question...from the picture it looks like you left all the meat from the belly (underside) still in there, or did the belly meat come out with the Backstrap its hard to see.

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have heard gar are some of the best eatin fish there is in 07 ehwn i was fishing table rock i went to a fish market to try to get simething for bait and seen gar was 2 time the price of catfish!!

10. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Very interesting, next time I catch into one I just might have to try it!

11. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Yeah... probably because its 2 time harder to clean, but the meat has a shrimp/porkchop flavor that is wonderful.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Joey I only remove the back straps. then there are no bones to mess with. to me there is not enough meat any were else on a gar worth fooling with because of all those bones in them.

13. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Ok, now I remember the bones I had in the gator gars I clean years ago, they where hard to deal with, now I know what to do next time,thanks... on_the_fly.

14. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    how do you cook the backstraps? Are they steaked out like deer, then fried?

15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I cut into finger size strips and batter with cornmill and ky kernel seasoned flour and fry

16. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Guess i should have kept that 4-5' gar i caught 3 weeks ago. I caught him on a 10' 2 peice fenwick with 17lb test line and a 6000. I was looking for a big catfish. When i set the hook he went to pulling line out like crazy.

Foggy :cool2:

17. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I have never eaten a gar or heard of anybody around here eating them but it sounds good may try one.:tounge_out:

18. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    When you clean a gar don't forget to save the liver it makes great catfish bait.

19. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Eddie the way I like to clean them out I dont even cut into the gut area at all thats a big part of why they are not so mess to clean for me. shad and skip work well enough that its not worth the added mess of the guts to get the liver out. lol:big_smile:

20. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Never tried cleaning gar here. They are terrible thick below the dam at Kaw Reservoir OK. May have to go and catch a bunch and clean them in the croud of folks fishing there. Get everyone excited about thinning them out. Always a nuisance when they are as thick as they are right now.