Cleanin cement room slab

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by slimepig, Jul 3, 2006.

1. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ok, nuthin absolutely ta do with fishin, i just need a lil advice.
    pulled carpet and pad up from my 10X12 bedroom floor. no tile underneath, just the cement. the slab looks in good shape except for a few places where i pulled the carpet board nails up and it left half dollar sized spots. whoever put the carpet pad down evidently used some kind of adhesive. theres a yellow thin layer that i need to clean off before i put down vinyl tiles. my question is 1 what is easiest way to get that layer of stuff off, and 2, should i prepare the cleaned slab in some way, or just stick the tiles down on the cement? the vinyl tiles are just a cheap easy temporary thing anyway. thanks!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

a large scrapper and adhesive remover Its no fun and it ain't easy. I can't remember the name of the stuff right now but I can find out in the a.m.

3. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    There is some kind of stuff they sell at Pep Boys. Adhesive & Graffiti Remover or something like that in a little white aerosol can. I think it was about 6 to 8 inches tall. It is really stong. I personally know that it will eat through floor tiles. Turns them into butter. don't know if you are looking for something that strong, but that is all I can think of. Good luck.

4. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Just so happens I have 29 years of experience with this.

Here is the easiest way to get rid of it.
    Go by a scrapper that holds a 4 inch blade, and buy at least one pack of blades that go with it. These are razor type blades.

The pad was put down using a pad adhesive that stays very sticky for a long time. Use a lot of pressure with your scrapper on your blade and it should come up fairly easy. AS SOON as you start having trouble again, change your blade.

As for the holes left by the concrete nails in the tack strip, just buy a small bag of "floor patch". You mix it with water. Mix it up a little thick, and apply a little too much over each hole. The patch will want to shrink just a bit so allow it to dry a little but not completely then go back and smooth it out with your 4 to 6 inch patcher blade.

You should also scrape every square inch of the floor with your 4 inch scrapper blade. You will want to get that floor completely smooth and free of any dirt and old drywall compound and paint.

That should get you in very good shape for the tile.

As for the tile installation itself, measure over 5 or 6 feet from your outside wall on each end and use a chalk line to get a line. Measure over 5 or 6 feet from a side wall and do the same. This will give you a 4 square grid so you can start in the middle of the room. Make your measurements exact so when you start there, you wont have any cuts to make on 2 sides. If you can, take off the base boards to go back over the tile or put down 1/4 round.

Laying tile is pretty easy, but the most important part of installation is the floor prep.

If you have any more questions, pm me and I will help you out.

5. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Unfortunately, the "yellow" layer tells me you're not going to enjoy this job. That is a newer mastic (glue) that doesn't come up easily with chemicals. Looks like the old fashioned large, razor scraper will be your new friend. Some places you can rent the large "T-Handle" holders so you can stand upright while shoving the razor (knife) head along the concrete to get that glue up. The razor (knife) is about 4 inches wide.

Some of the older (read asbestos) glues can be easily dissolved with chemical agents. That yellow glue makes professional asbestos abatement crews mad. Good luck, and don't do anything stupid like pour flammable liquids on the floor. Despite the obvious bad outcomes, that yellow glue doesn't respond well anyway.

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    It don't come up that bad, and you don't have to worry about asbestos either. A scrapper will run you about 10 bucks, no stand up scrapper needed.
    With a 4 inch scrapper, I could remove the adhesive and scrap the entire floor in less than 10 minutes. 10 more minutes for patching the holes.
    It's not that big of a deal.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've done alot of tile and I agree with KCCATS. I use the 4" scraper all the time. It's great. the only difference is I mark off the center line of the room, start a tile on each side of it against one wall and build out in a piramid from there. I always plan on new 1/4 round as the old stuff usually doesn't all come off in one piece anyway.