clean an outboard

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by shadmaster, Sep 9, 2009.

1. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Anybody know something that will remove the lake scum from an outboard engine? Mine is 2 yrs old and looks 20. I've tried everything I know. Some is on the painted metal and some on the black plastic. Kind of white colored. A feller that works at a marina said they use something that is used to clean toilets. I should have inquired further. I'm afraid to put something on real strong that might ruin the cowl or paint. Any suggestions?

2. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    Bill , I use lime away cleaner and a little two sided sponge . the lime away cleaner is made for showers . you get'em at walmart or any store . cost less than 2 bucks for the cleaner and a dollar for a package of sponges . This is the easyest and cheapest thing I ever try'ed , and I "discovered" it when my wife gave it to me to clean the tub and shower with . I used all kind of junk from autozone and the marine store , and my wife had this stuff in the cabinet all the time :confused2:

3. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Yes, Lime-Away works good for outboards with scum on them.
    Years ago, I had a little spray bottle of "water spot remover" from Mercury. I don't know where it is now, but do remember Mercury making that product.
    Just always remember to first try something you have never used way down on the lower part of the motor or in an out of the way place incase it has some abrasive that will scratch the finish.
    When I do "remember" to clean the water spots off my outboard, I put a coat of wax on it. It will make it shine longer and keep the water spots off a little longer then if I didn't use the wax.
    Good luck

4. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks guys, gonna get me some Lime Away and give it a try.

5. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Another trick is to take some oil,(WD40/any spray oil/solvent) and spray some on the lower portion of the outboard. It really helps to keep the "skum" from building up on the motor. Infact I use Kroil (penetrating oil) and just spray it on a rag and wipe the motor down between trips. It get's under the scum,and it washes away,next trip to the river. Ron

Attached Files:

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    There is a cleaner for showers,tubs,tile called CLR it stands for calcium,lime,and rust. this stuff is premo at removing anything the lake/river leaves on your boat,and it doesnt harm anything. I've seen guys who had docked boats not out of the water for a couple years with heavy buildup put it in a sprayer and spay the exterior of their boat then powerwash it down to clean and new looking. good product!