Claytor Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by riverdawg-1, Apr 15, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I just got home from Claytor lake. The fishing was slow, but got 3 channells about 12" each and a 7.5# Hybrid Striper on cut shad. Cats hit cut gill and liver. Anybody done any fishing in sw va? If so where and how are they biting?

2. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went to south Holston lake last week caught a 5 pound channel and a 3 pound flathead but fishing is still slow.

3. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    I went to Parrot and fished the New River today,no cats but a 4lb6oz smallmouth made the trip worth it. I caught 6 smallmouth with three over 3lb including thh big one

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I went from 114 bridge to whitethorne and didn't catch alot but 5 nice smallmouth. the river was running hard. congrats on the nice smallie

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Pennslammer, do you fish the new often? Let me know if you ever want to go. I bank fish and canoe alot, hopefully soon the motor on the jon boat will be running.
    Chip

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    went to claytor again last night-got a 6 pound flattie.
    then this evening i went to smith mountain lake and got a 8 pound channel.:big_smile:

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
  8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice fish there Willie!

RiverDawg....where on SML do you fish? Looking for some good areas to target cats on SML. It's the closest lake to my house, but I never fish it.

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Billie, nice smallmouth! I smallmouth fish on the james and new alot. But have not caught one like that, the biggest last year was a 5.2 i got just upstream from Glasgow. I think I'm going to do an overnight on the james this sat.

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    This year I've been bank fishing around scruggs. This winter some jerk stole my depth finder and 2 cb's off my boat and i haven't replaced the depth finder yet. I actully caught the 8# chanell on the bank at Hardy road boat landing, stopped for a liitle while after work and caught it in about 10 min. I've probably fished the same spot 15 time in my life and i think thats the first fish i've ever caught there-it gets alot of pressure. I was working in Lynchburg todayb and the James was looking good.